No announcement yet.

Tune O Matic alternatives for Epiphone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tune O Matic alternatives for Epiphone?

Hi! I posted about this in my NGD thread, but I figured I'd make a whole new thread about it, rather, since there may be other people interested.

I just recently got two Epiphones, a Custom and a 1959 Standard. In the Custom I upgraded the bridge with a Graphtech Resomax and a Gotoh Aluminum tailpiece, and I immediately noticed a difference for the better. Brighter, livelier tone, less low mid clutter, and more volume acoustically. I dig it!

I want a similar improvement in my 1959 Custom, but I also like to try new stuff out. So this time, I don't want to go for a Graphtech bridge. I wonder what you guys recommend that in your experience has improved the tone of your tune o matic bridge guitars? Gotoh with Titanium saddles? TonePros with nylon saddles? Anything else? Let's discuss the alternatives!

Thanks!

Babicz is an option

Comment

I replaced the bridge and saddle on my Epiphone with a regular metal saddle Tone Pros, and there was a noticeable difference in sustain over the original pot metal bridge/tailpiece. It was worth doing, plus now the bridge doesn't fall off every time I change strings. :P
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I prefer the Gotoh replacements for the Epis, they're MIJ and about $30, great quality. The new TP stuff is made by Sung Il which is fine but about double the price.
        My Bands -
        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

nylon saddles soften the sound a bit, not bad, but different for sure.

Comment

Faber Tone-Lock with the massive E-Sert conversion posts.

Comment

Didn't know Faber made them to fit imports, but I probably should have figured.
              I got a Faber for one of my Gibsons that has titanium saddles under the low E and A.
              Splendid bridge.

And the Faber aluminum tailpiece is bound to be a noticeable improvement over the stock Epi one.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                I prefer the Gotoh replacements for the Epis, they're MIJ and about $30, great quality. The new TP stuff is made by Sung Il which is fine but about double the price.
                Ah, gotcha. I got my tonepros used for about 20$, so never had to worry about price.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Ah, gotcha. I got my tonepros used for about 20$, so never had to worry about price.
                  Totally worth it, and if you really want to lock stuff down well they're a great choice. I use TP stuff as well. Don't want to give the impression I am bashing on them I have just had such good results with the Gotoh products.

My Bands -
                  https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                  www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                  www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                  GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

TonePros used to be made by Gotoh, right? It's too bad they moved away.

I ended up ordering a Gotoh with brass saddles. We'll see how it is compared to the Graphtech.

Comment

Working...
                    X