Refinishing a Warmoth Flamed Maple Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refinishing a Warmoth Flamed Maple Top

A while ago I got a Warmoth in trade that my dad loved so he took the body for a while but just recently brought it back. Can't upload pics for some reason but it is a green body (looks like Alder) with a Flame Maple Top in a bit of a blue green burst.

I don't care for the colors at all but am unsure on refinishing it especially with the flamed maple top.

I know Warmoth claims to use a very thin finish but I'm nervous about attempting it with the flamed top. Any suggestions on how to get that finish off?

Trey nice seeing you around man. Do you know what they used for the finish? Also whatever application you decide to go with I would start on the back of the guitar to make sure you have the right stripper before moving to the front.

Comment

If its a warmoth finish then they use a thin poly.

Greenish tint to wood usually means Poplar.

Comment

How old is it? If it’s the newer veneer I’m not sure I’m attempt it, you may burn through the veneer when sanding. If it’s an older full thickness top then a strip and sand should be ok.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Strip it chemically, clean off the residue with Scotchbrite and lacquer thinner. DO NOT sand it - it's already been sanded.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
            Trey nice seeing you around man. Do you know what they used for the finish? Also whatever application you decide to go with I would start on the back of the guitar to make sure you have the right stripper before moving to the front.
            Thank you and good to hear from you! I've not been as active for a long stretch but got some time and came back on–glad to see the site is still up and running (except that I can't upload pics now.)

I think they use a thin poly for the finish–but not 100% sure (just know they never offered nitro when I would order before I started finishing them myself.)

And thanks for the tip!

Thought about just selling it to fund a different body (would be easier for sure!)

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
            If its a warmoth finish then they use a thin poly.

Greenish tint to wood usually means Poplar.
            I was thinking a thin poly based off of an old conversation with Brian (can't find the e-mail so was not 100% sure.)

Sorry, the greenish tint is toward middle of the burst on the Flamed Maple top–the finish looks like either their transparent "Blue Burst" or "Caribbean Burst". The wood grain on the body (back) looks like Alder.

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            How old is it? If it’s the newer veneer I’m not sure I’m attempt it, you may burn through the veneer when sanding. If it’s an older full thickness top then a strip and sand should be ok.
            I don't know how old the body is–I got it in a trade sometime around 2015/16 and they guy I got it from claimed he got it in trade a year or two before...so no telling other than definitely older than 2015.

I was afraid of it being a Veneer top but I think this is from when they were doing a full top (guitar is fully assembled but once I take it apart I can look to see if I am able check the cap thickness.)

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
            Strip it chemically, clean off the residue with Scotchbrite and lacquer thinner. DO NOT sand it - it's already been sanded.
            Thank for the tip, was thinking chemically would be the best bet–was afraid of sanding that top for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
              (except that I can't upload pics now.)
              You can try adding them as attachments instead of using the image button, or link to them on an image hosting site. The 'uploading pics' issue has been there through the last few forum updates.

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

You can try adding them as attachments instead of using the image button, or link to them on an image hosting site. The 'uploading pics' issue has been there through the last few forum updates.
                Will give it another try another day...didn't work for me as an attachment. Thank you though!

Comment

I use IMGUR.... it's free photo hosting.
                  aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
                  X