You had one job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You had one job

This is a Martin. The fingerboard fell off by itself...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Needs Glue - Martin.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	6183578
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

What? How?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Is that a typical glue application technique for a fingerboard? I don't build, but I would have expected something less random.
      I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Weight relief.

Comment

Was the instrument heated in a car or something? That glue comes loose if exposed to high temperatures.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Just a couple of VERY thin squiggles of glue?! Really?!!

That's Martin quality?

(No wonder it came off.)

That's not how I glue my fretboards on. I cover the entire surface with enough glue to squish out all over when clamped. I've NEVER had a fretboard come off...EVER. And it's next to impossible to purposely take it off if you wanted to.

Another reason why I love Taylor better than Martin.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Here's a clue.... the label inside says "Made in USA" but the plywood neck is made in Mexico. Also, a closer look reveals that the adhesive used to glue in the dots wasn't scaped clean and flat before gluing the fingerboard to the neck. This is a failure of inspection standards in mass production.

Comment

That guitar has been played out and left out, LOL! I know because I own 2 just like it.

Definitely a poor glue job either way. Looks like they didn't get enough clamping pressure on the board to squeeze the glue out, so it was basically 30% attached.

What's funny is that it wouldn't have cost them any more money or time to do it well!

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                  Is that a typical glue application technique for a fingerboard? I don't build, but I would have expected something less random.
                  My question too... jeez

If Im glueing it's getting both sides and squeegied evenly

Im forwarding this to my Martin Factory guy -and asking lol

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

My question too... jeez

If Im glueing it's getting both sides and squeegied evenly

Im forwarding this to my Martin Factory guy -and asking lol
                    That would be more like I was thinking. Squeegee or brush to even it out.
                    I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                      This is a Martin. The fingerboard fell off by itself...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Needs Glue - Martin.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	6183578
                      Hey JayhawkerGoob

What year is this Martin and model?

***pins and needles****
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I don't know. The photo was posted on the OLF by a luthier in New South Wales.

Comment

See guys, this is what happens when you try to pull incendiary pick sweeps on an acoustic...
                          Last edited by LLL; 07-06-2022, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                            See guys, this is what happens when you try to pull incendiary pick sweeps on an acoustic...
                            Nah, look at that glue placement -clearly done in that particular sine wave style to directly solve what Martin is know for -sweeps and shredding,

I believe the fingerboard failure is related to when the Guitarist started doing the recent scourge of instagram acoustic funk slapping and popping. Which is forbidden.

Comment

Maybe the Martin factory down there rations glue? Or time it takes to actually spread it out? They should post it on Martin's social media.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X