banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's Harley Benton and why should i care about her ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's Harley Benton and why should i care about her ?

Discuss ...

I'm sure seeing many of their cabs on craigslist lately. Never tried any of their stuff myself.

Comment

A catchy name for cheap equipment?

Comment

Hmm. . .
        . https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harl...from%20Bavaria.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
          A catchy name for cheap equipment?
          I wouldn't call the gear cheap it is inexpensive, big difference. My bass player has two Ric 4001s and just bought a Harley Benton Ric copy for $200. The thing plays amazing and sounds just like a Ric. He liked it so much that he bought a HH bass from them for around the same cost. The bass is a monster. I am considering picking up one of their Ric guitars for $200.

Comment

I don't usually buy new guitars but earlier this year I bought a Harley Benton CST-24T P90. An excellent PRS copy ..a slight arch top like the USA model as opposed to the beveled flatish SE model. On advice I went for a B stock which I understand is usually a guitar which has been returned with a minor defect which has been sorted.

Cost was 185 pounds shipped (around $225) Guitar is totally amazing for this price range. Spent another 45 quid (around $55) with my friendly tech to have custom shop job on frets and a new graph tech nut... He only found 3 slightly high frets and around 7 which were a bit flattish and fret ends needed little work. He said he had seen worse Gibsons. The Jacoba Fret board was very dry and needed a good soak in fret oil.but is now great. First guitar I have owned with a jacoba fret board.No complaints

I actually bought the guitar as a vehicle for a set of Irongear P90s I had but I actually quite like the stock pups.

Am really blown away by this guitar Both for looks (I have the .Ocean Blue model) and playability..Fret ends are now superb and great action. Even the Wilkinson trem is usable

Has become my go to guitar.Lives permanently in my living room plugged in Stock pots seem fine but but may go for Series and OOP sometime

Possibly I was lucky and got a good un but here in the UK definitely worth a punt with Thomans return policy

Comment

This 7 string fan fret is only $250

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I wouldn't call the gear cheap it is inexpensive, big difference. My bass player has two Ric 4001s and just bought a Harley Benton Ric copy for $200. The thing plays amazing and sounds just like a Ric. He liked it so much that he bought a HH bass from them for around the same cost. The bass is a monster. I am considering picking up one of their Ric guitars for $200.

Yeah I mispoke, I meant inexpensive. The two words are practically interchangabe with me. If I see some "cheap" I have more choice words dor it like **** or garbage. I can't find anything that says they're made outside of Germany either. . . Straighten me out on that if you would please.

Comment

I don't they have wide distribution in the USA yet, although people I know who have used their guitars & pedals have been fans.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've seen instances of people choosing to buy the HB DC Junior as a placeholder until they can get a "real" LP Jr and then being very disappointed when they do.

I can't say either way, but I think this video demo shows HB are more than worth it.

I'm aware some people have a problem with Shane / InTheBlues reviews, but he's left-handed and I think he's pretty fair without going overboard with praise, and that's all I'm really looking for in a review.

Comment

Been looking at them for a while, as they seem to offer quite a bit for the $$, especially with Strats and Teles, there's quite a few variants with different finishes, pup configs, neck shapes.

This is one of their upper-tier Strats. Ash body, alnico 5 pups, Gotoh 510 style trem with a large block, pau ferro board, satin finish. For about $170, seems a no brainer. For a similar price, you're in Squier Affinity territory, which has ceramic pups and a pot metal trem block. On paper, at least, the HB seems like a better buy.

Originally posted by dominus
                      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        I don't they have wide distribution in the USA yet, although people I know who have used their guitars & pedals have been fans.
                        Harley Benton is a store brand for Thomann music shop. I don't think they are really seeking world wide distribution as a brand. You can order their stuff only from Thomann site internationally. I don't know where they manufacture their stuff but I suspect they use some place where other brands are made. They have cut out the middle man from the equation since they can order the manufacturing themselves.

Comment

I'm always skeptical about fretwork, and that is on anything, not just lower-priced models. If you can't do fretwork yourself and do not have a true pro nearby then it's better to order from a trusted retailer with a good return policy. IMO lower-priced guitars are not good items to order as "used" from individuals on Reverb/Ebay. Local is cool because you can inspect it yourself!

The Harley Benton cabs I'm sure are good for the $. Most people are not pushing cabs to a volume that will really start to display the difference in materials and/or design.
                          It's great that they use good speakers at least, and not some house brand "custom special gx80" lol.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

I can't find anything that says they're made outside of Germany either. . . Straighten me out on that if you would please.
                            It looks like they are made in a wide range of factories.

Harley Benton guitars are manufactured in around 20 factories in the Far East in China, Indonesia and Vietnam.

Comment

Originally posted by Lovegun View Post

Harley Benton is a store brand for Thomann music shop. I don't think they are really seeking world wide distribution as a brand. You can order their stuff only from Thomann site internationally. I don't know where they manufacture their stuff but I suspect they use some place where other brands are made. They have cut out the middle man from the equation since they can order the manufacturing themselves.
                              Yeah, that's right. HB's still seem like a better deal than what is considered 'off brand' in USA shops. I am talking about those brands you only see in Sam Ash or GC.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X