String gauge for E flat metal-only guitar, Gibson scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
    Asking other players string gauge questions is useless. Either you're getting irrelevant suggestions (as they aren't you and don't play with your touch and rig) or you get every gauge suggested and then you might as well have not have asked in the first place.
    Do what you have should have done at the start and try ones out yourself.
    Those are some pretty big, silly statements, starting with your assumption that I haven't actually tried different gauges out myself.

I asked this knowledgeable community for guidance, and I have found the answers very helpful. What you think of my process is as irrelevant to me as basic courtesy and civility seem to be to you. That will be the last time I reply to you, by the way, so don't bother to reply, since I won't read anything further that you have to say.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      I think these are fantastic recommendations.
      Cough cough...

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

My first guitar was an Epi LP. I had 8.5s in standard on there for a while which is the exact same tension as 9s down a half step. They will not be too flimsy for you. You can, however, manhandle them. 10s will feel normal more or less. While 11s will be playable but still kind of stiff. So it all depends on what you prefer for feel. For metal, since you're always using distortion, you don't need thick strings, unless you actually prefer that feel. So I would eliminate 11s first. Then it would be if you want a slinky feel with 9s or a normal to easy feel with 10s.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

^^yup.
          I used 11-52 sets for metal on an LP tuned down half to full step. Took me a couple of years to realize - no. I do not like the feel of these. I was wrestling with the thing.
          I'm hard on the right hand, but the left has a gentle touch.
          Now I do everything and every electric on 9-42. I'd go to 10-46 for tuning one and a half step eventually.
          But hey, it's a personal thing.
          The biggest difference between Chet Atkins and Dimebag? Probably the beard...

Comment

I'd go no lower than 12-52 in Eb, on a 24,75" scale guitar .

I use 11-49's in standard E on my Epihone Wildkat, and in Eb standard on my 26" Peavey.

rock on! \m/
            If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Helpful answers. Thank you all. It's making me realize that I don't mind slinkier top strings but I would prefer a bit more stiffness on the lower strings. So I'll probably go with 10-46, 10-48, or 10-52 on this particular guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by weepingminotaur View Post

Yeah, but I'm looking for E flat, not D. Those would be a bit on the thick side for me, even for D lol. Thanks though.
                I play these at both E flat & E standard. They is the ****zel.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

I play these at both E flat & E standard. They is the ****zel.
                  I believe you. It's amazing that we all have different experiences of playing. A few years ago, I was more into heavier strings. The older I get, though, the more I find myself gravitating to lighter strings.

Having said that, I plan to have two guitars in E flat when all is said and done, and I will definitely want the second one to have heavier strings. Well heavy for me -- something like 11-50. It'll be interesting for me to compare feel on each of those guitars.

Comment

I usually go 10-46 on 25.5" (Fender Strat and LTD Strat copy) and 11-48 on 24.75" (Gibson Les Paul and Godin Exit 22), all standard tuning. My Peavey Vandenberg (24.75") is strung with DR DDT 11-54 in E-Flat tuning and it has the same feel as my other guitars in standard tuning. So DR DDT strings are stiffer than similar gauge strings, and designed specially for drop tuning.

Comment

Working...
                    X