Speaking of locking tuners. . . 6 in line this time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of locking tuners. . . 6 in line this time

When you install staggered tuners do you remove your string tree or trees? Any benefits either way?
    Last edited by solspirit; 08-09-2022, 11:27 AM.

Most of the time, yes.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I do, yes. The need for the tree disappears, leaving another friction point.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I always have but I've seen guitars that haven't, so I was wondering if they knew I didn't.

Comment

I add roller trees more for aesthetics than anything else. Having a hole in the middle of the headstock makes me a bit crazy.

Comment

Most of the time yes for me although I had one build that the B string benefited from a roller string tree despite having staggered locking tuners.

Comment

Depends on the nut height, distance to the tuning peg, and amount of "stagger", as these ultimately determine the downward pressure created at the nut.

Often, even with staggered tuners, there is still an advantage to keeping (and possibly upgrading) the string trees.

Comment

I find that the idea of staggered tuners quite ridiculous on a Fender type headstock! When I first started using them I left the trees off and got "buzzing" at the nut...there isn't enough height difference in the stagger to create enough downward pressure at the nut. I always leave the trees on now and get perfect tone.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Exactly.

On a standard Fender headstock, I find that string trees are generally still needed, but the amount of tension at the tree may be reduced slightly by using staggered tuners, which is still helpful, especially if you're a trem user like I am.

Ultimately, on a Fender headstock, you can't fully replicate the break angle over the nut seen with string trees simply by using staggered tuners. It's not physically possible.

Some guitars get away with no trees, but most with flat headstocks still benefit from them. Although the situation is different if you have an angled headstock or something like a MusicMan, where the string distances from nut to post are kept relatively short.

Comment

^ Yeah, that's it. It doesn't increase the angle (almost not at all), so the staggered tuners do nothing.

But, like you say, at least it will reduce the tension on the string trees.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
                      When you install staggered tuners do you remove your string tree or trees? Any benefits either way?
                      Virtually never use string trees

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Dennis View Post

Virtually never use string trees

Comment

Originally posted by ]=Masta' C View Post

Except that it doesn't

Comment

Working...
                          X