banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What instrument/gear to get- to gain inspiration?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What instrument/gear to get- to gain inspiration?!

Hello guys;

I've been saving up some money now, while I'm "stuck in a rut", and feel like getting a new instrument/some cool gear could help me out.

-I got around 500USD; I play electric/acoustic guitars, electric bass, some keys and percussion. I live alone, in an apartment; with (unfortunately) limited chances of finding jam/band mates etc.

I already got several good electric and acoustic guitars & amps;- but no bass guitar, no keys- and no good recording unit.

Sorry for this post being a bit "messy and stupid",

but if you had 500USD, and wanted something to help one to play, compose and get a happier musicians life. What would you do?

thanks,
    -Erlend ♪
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

I would think a good recording unit would be the way to go. You can get a Presonus starter kit for $149 well below your budget. You would even have money left over for a Harley Benton bass if you would like

Get the guaranteed best price on Recording Packages like the PreSonus AudioBox iTwo Studio at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Securb.

My uncle really wanted me to invest in a Tascam hardware recording unit, - the same that he bought for his home studio. We've had long discussions back-and-forth on what is the best solution; reording on PC/USB interface, or on a hardware unit. He's lucky to have both a PC and his Tascam for recording; but I "only" got an old Boss Micro BR.

I once owned a Zoom R8, which was very very nice- apart from that the faders/build quality felt like a chinese childrens toy.

-Though, without inspiration, there is nothing to record. :/.

Something makes me think, that a new instrument could help me back into playing more. I don't have a fretted bass; and I've fallen in love with the cheap Hofner violin basses- 240`? euros, + taxes and all, from Thomann. . I play bass guitar in church/worship music; so , it wouldn't be the worst investment to do.

I dream about having a similar studio/situation as I had in my late teens- Then my apartment/livingroom was stuffed with gear and equipment. Not just mine, but the entire band's. I could with ease record and produce about "anything" that came to mind- but I also remember it was so stupid-; that when I had everything I needed to make the music; the inspiration was gone.

Sorry for all the rambling. I would have gotten a Behringer/Steinberg USB interface in a hurry, if it hadn't been for ; that my experiences with recording on PC are turning me off. I wish I could "buy a band" and be happy , ... but, he he.

What I "really should have done"; was to leave this barren land of North Norway, and seek success in ...eh... the netherlands? . But, a bit late now. I gotta make the best of what I got, and what is possible.

If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

The most important gear for getting out of being stuck in a rut to me is a good instructional book to work through, playing out more with friends, or learning a new song. Gear is a nice to have, but as long as you've got a guitar you like that plays well then your time is better spent working on actual music rather than shopping.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Sounds like a fretted bass might be the ticket here.

Comment

Hi Erlend.
            $500 won't get you a "pro-studio" setup ofcourse, but it will get you a very decent USB audio interface, a mic or two, maybe a fun pedal, and a very good bass-guitar, fretted or otherwise.
            I don't know how's the local scene so far up north, but combining thomann and some good used gear maybe, spending $500 should be a sweet worry.

For example, I've spent about half that (~$300) on a new MOTU M2 interface, a used Cort SP-PB P-bass copy, a Tusq nut, some strings and misc cables.

Happy spending, and report back with your spoils!
            The biggest difference between Chet Atkins and Dimebag? Probably the beard...

Comment

Take your instruments to your uncles house. Being without them will inspire the hell out of you and give you a renewed appreciation of them.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
                Take your instruments to your uncles house. Being without them will inspire the hell out of you and give you a renewed appreciation of them.
                good idea!! ... actually;

.. i remember the one time; I was booked with a/my band, to play a gig. After the show, the situation got messed up, and I was left wandering around Tromsų city alone, with our guitarists' guitar in my hands. Being full of dope and alcohol; I found no other solution, than to leave the guitar in a..eh... spot, where I guess the guitarist would find it...

so I took the bus home, high as F***; and then spent several weeks sitting in my couch, regretting that I didn't bring his guitar home. Cause I really, really wanted to play. :/ .

It's real possible that I'll do just what you suggested!! Sitting here and watching guitars that doesn't get played, sounds most like an unsucessful marriage..

. I might get a cheap little accordion though! =). They are fun, and shouldn't be too hard to learn to play.

-E

Comment

If you don't have a modeler, get something Line 6. You can get a newer unit for $500ish or even an old kidney bean POD for under $100. I find tons of inspiration by scrolling presets in a modeler.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                  http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I usually get some softsynths, and start making weird sounds. Then I try to mimic them on guitar.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Been thinking about taking up the bagpipes.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post

good idea!! ... actually;

.. i remember the one time; I was booked with a/my band, to play a gig. After the show, the situation got messed up, and I was left wandering around Tromsų city alone, with our guitarists' guitar in my hands. Being full of dope and alcohol; I found no other solution, than to leave the guitar in a..eh... spot, where I guess the guitarist would find it...

so I took the bus home, high as F***; and then spent several weeks sitting in my couch, regretting that I didn't bring his guitar home. Cause I really, really wanted to play. :/ .

It's real possible that I'll do just what you suggested!! Sitting here and watching guitars that doesn't get played, sounds most like an unsucessful marriage..

. I might get a cheap little accordion though! =). They are fun, and shouldn't be too hard to learn to play.

-E
                        Accordions are awesome. Keys are cool too.

Comment

Then there's this https://youtu.be/cLu9GmV2vF0

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Or learn some new technique, chord or song. Something that you wouldn't normally play. I'll take 100 for the advice, you get to keep 400. Win-win.

Comment

I've come to a deal with my old band members, from our project Spotbang Quartet/Trio- to begin playing together,
                              -and maybe produce an album! Since the other guys are often busy with work and personal life (and I'm a bohemian), we have agreed on trying to play together one weekend/month .

I guess there is no replacement for playing with other people/friends,- atleast for me. What I personally like most about music- the second you put down your guitar, it's silence. Nothing is harmed, nothing is done. :/ .... I'd be more than happy to live a life, 24/7 with a band/musical setting. But now, I'm 32; and bordering on asking WTF I'm doing here on Tellur.

I just browsed some... "previously unknown" norwegian webshops; and well- there is alot of nice stuff to be had; for 500USD.

First off, I'm going to get a birthday present for our rhythm-guitarist/driver ; who's 33 in a few weeks. I want to get him a proper 10-band EQ; since- I found thats the stuff that makes "any" amp/guitar setup sound better

-E

Comment

Working...
                              X