banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have experience with a Schaller 475 bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have experience with a Schaller 475 bridge?

I have a Squier bullet Mustang I acquired recently. I’m interested in changing the stock bridge to something a little higher quality and better designed. The Schaller 475 caught my attention and looked like something that might fit that bill. As I said in the title, does anyone have any experience with it, or perhaps other suggestions for the fixed top loading bridges?
    Thanks

I used these for a long time, but I developed concerns that the high mass is changing the sound. I went back to vintage style bridges.

As far as quality and string guidance is concerned this bridge is exceptional.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
      I used these for a long time, but I developed concerns that the high mass is changing the sound. I went back to vintage style bridges.

As far as quality and string guidance is concerned this bridge is exceptional.
      did you ever have a problem with the strings popping out of the rollers? That’s really the only thing making me nervous about it

Comment

As long as the breakover angle is more than 10 degrees or so, you should have no problems. I've used them for years, and advise you to set the string spacing you want with the rollers, then lock them down with a bit of nail polish on each side. It's easily removed with an Exacto blade or soften it with a drop of acetone to re-position the roller. Hard to go wrong with solid German engineering, but it is pricy.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          Hard to go wrong with solid German engineering, but it is pricy.
          That’s kind of what I was thinking. It’s also one of the only high quality bridges like that I can get domestically

Comment

Originally posted by Birdman642 View Post

did you ever have a problem with the strings popping out of the rollers? That’s really the only thing making me nervous about it
            Hmmm, I don't recall. I think you can knock the low E string off the roller, but I don't think it was a problem with regular playing.

Comment

They are excellent. Never had a problem with strings coming off the rollers. Great for adjusting string spacing at the bridge. A bit expensive but superior quality.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Does anyone know the highest string gauge it will accept? I know with the rollers it’s limited to a certain size. I was planning on using an 11-52 set and putting it in Drop C/D standard

Comment

Does anyone know the highest string gauge it will accept? I know with the rollers it’s limited to a certain size. I was planning on using an 11-52 set and putting it in Drop C/D standard
                  I definitely used 010-052 with this bridge.

Comment

Is the 475 this one? It's what comes up in a Google search. If so, I've had one for years on a Peavey Patriot. I'm not sure how much it improved the tone, but it certainly made setup and intonation easier.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Schaller_bridge.png
Views:	294
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	6190152

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                      Is the 475 this one?

Name:	Schaller_bridge.png
Views:	294
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	6190152
                      Yep, that’s it. From my searches, it appears to be the highest quality top loading hard tail I can find, without having to import from England

Comment

That is a nice lookin' bridge. I know Kahler used to make a top loading hard tail, too.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          That is a nice lookin' bridge. I know Kahler used to make a top loading hard tail, too.
                          I think they still do. The Schaller is tempting to me because it doesn’t require any rear routing

Comment

The Schaller is tempting to me because it doesn't require any rear routing
                            Yup.

Name:	Patriot_Schaller_sm.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	6190230

Comment

Many of my builds have the Schaller 475 bridges and they are excellent.

Comment

Working...
                              X