E standard tuning for a 7 string

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E standard tuning for a 7 string

What is E standard tuning for a 7 string?
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

6th string tuned to E. 7th tuned to B.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

yes, low to high: B E A D G b e
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I tune to D in 7 string. So my lowest string is A.

Comment

Interestingly enough (or not), I played a hardtail trans-black Ibanez GIO 7 string in the local Mom $ Pop today. I didn't plug it in, I did noodle on it for about 15 minutes and it played amazing. They wanted $250 for it brand new. When I was walking out the door, they dropped the price to $199. If I was not doing all this remodeling on the house right now I would have grabbed it. If it is still there after all of the home reno and the move I am going to grab it.

Comment

Securb: I'd say: GET IT!!

If I had a 7-string, I'd string it; E-A-D-G-B-E- high A! -.-. with a 008.

Rock on! \m/ ♪

-E
            If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post

If I had a 7-string, I'd string it; E-A-D-G-B-E- high A! with a 008.

Rock on! \m/

-E
              I just might but that would be way too high for my tastes.

Comment

Even with 8's, a high A is almost impossible to keep that high, due to the tension. If the guitar had some weird banjo thing where the string started at the 5th fret, I suppose it could work (and actually be pretty cool).

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I just might but that would be way too high for my tastes.

It's known as the Minnie Pearl setup.

Comment

Locking tuner on the high A

But think of the shred possibilities....
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Thanks guys, I was asking because I put new strings on my gretsch baritone. It came with 14-72 strings which were a little too much for me so I put on a set from stringjoy that's .135,.18,.26,.36,.48,.62. And I have it tuned B-E-A-D-G-b so it's like having the top 5 strings from a regular tuned guitar with a deeper option on the top string. Don't know if this is common or not but I think this baritone sounds great now. I really think the mini humbuckers do the job of preserving the lower tones excellently in this guitar while also sounding focused on the higher strings!
                      It's funny how some stories became historic,
                      especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
                      But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        Even with 8's, a high A is almost impossible to keep that high, due to the tension. If the guitar had some weird banjo thing where the string started at the 5th fret, I suppose it could work (and actually be pretty cool).
                        Steve Vai lied to us! He said you could do that in the 7th heaven video. “Add an extra high string and wail away into the stratosphere” he said…
                        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post

If I had a 7-string, I'd string it; E-A-D-G-B-E- high A! -.-. with a 008.

Rock on! \m/ ♪

-E
                          Not nearly as useful as A D G B F A D.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post

Steve Vai lied to us! He said you could do that in the 7th heaven video. “Add an extra high string and wail away into the stratosphere” he said…
                            Use a whammy pedal and have an easier life.

Comment

Working...
                            X