banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kill switch on a Strat: Where should I place it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kill switch on a Strat: Where should I place it?

I'm adding this kill switch to my strat. I was wondering if anyone has it installed on a strat and if so where would you recommend I place it? I want to avoid accidental button presses. Thank you!
    People often ask, what is the fastest kill switch you have?. It's this one. The DITO has the lightest spring available in any Tesi Switch. Under constant abuse, this switch will take 10,000,000 (ten million) hits.

Maybe make a master tone, and install it where the 2nd tone knob is...
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      That’s what I’d do.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        That's what I've done before
        https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Where it’s comfy. What about one of the horns?
          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

I use the TESI switch mentioned above but I get the 10mm ones(the closest they have to regular pot size) and I get the latching model because you get momentary function capable of rythmic stutters unless you push down hard enough to latch it which you have a lot of play room to use the switch momentarily without accidentally latching it that way I can have latching and momentary function in one switch. I always have a problem with the volume pot on a strat because my hand turns it down when I palm mute. So I move the volume down to the first tone position and either get rid of one tone pot or there is enough room to fit the tone pot in a triangle pattern between the two lower pots if you situate the pot against the edge of the cavity under the switch with the connections of the pot facing inward towards the other two pots connections that are all facing each other in the triangle pattern. This leaves the top pot hole free and I install one of the latching 10mm TESI switch in the top pot hole giving me a push button kill switch with both momentary and latching functions that my hand doesn't engage when I palm mute.
            It's funny how some stories became historic,
            especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
            But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Key Detail needed -are you using the killswitch in songs for effect or for between songs or whole parts?
              Last edited by NegativeEase; 08-13-2022, 10:27 AM.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

They are flat, so it is difficult to hit them without purpose. I wouldn't worry much about hitting it by accident. Mine is set right behind the volume knob.

Comment

I’ve been thinking, a toggle switch where the downward position is “on” is more intuitive, but a kill-button mutes when you press it, so you’d have to practice hitting the button on the off beat to overcome your natural inclination to hit it in time. Aside from doing that, I’d want a little switch to “arm” the button, make everything mute already and the button turn the sound on.
                  The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                    Key Detail needed -are you using the killswitch in songs for effect or for between songs or whole parts?
                    I'm using it in songs for effect.

Comment

Yeah the flatness of the switch you chose really makes them difficult to press by accident.

Maybe, making the bridge tone knob into a master, and the neck/mid tone into a volume knob so that you can repurpose the og vol pot hole for the killswitch.
                      It would be very close to the bridge pickup, so super easy access especially for effects use, and the flatness of the switch would not interfere with using the actual knobs.

Maybe it's stupid, but just a thought.
                      I only have a killswitch on my tele's plate, so not a lot of non-destructive options there...
                      The biggest difference between Chet Atkins and Dimebag? Probably the beard...

Comment

Look up Killpot, it let's you use the volume control as a momentary kill switch
                        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                          Look up Killpot, it let's you use the volume control as a momentary kill switch
                          Hey I'm interested since I have no experience with this type of switch/pot.
                          How easy/difficult would it be to accidentaly slide the volume up or down while using it intermittently, SOS-style?
                          It certainly makes the install clean, aestheticaly speaking.
                          The biggest difference between Chet Atkins and Dimebag? Probably the beard...

Comment

I know Ulrich Teuffel designed guitars with a kill switch, but you had a choice (instead of silence) when it was engaged, you can either get a really loud hum, or crazy squealing feedback with a mic built into the neck of the guitar. Pretty wild stuff.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The local guitar shop did a kill switch on an Ibanez in this position.

I guess it's going to come down to how often you plan to use it. But I think this position makes more sense since it's closer to bridge/strings and you're unlikely to knock it (if indeed the button sits that flat on the body).

Comment

Working...
                              X