banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where you do stand on wrapping strings with locking tuners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where you do stand on wrapping strings with locking tuners?

Do you just thread through, tighten, and lock, for stability? Do you wrap once, to reduce the chances of strings breaking? Do you wrap multiple times?
    Last edited by weepingminotaur; 08-13-2022, 08:26 PM.

I do 1 full wrap plus the addition of part of a wrap when tuning up to pitch on lockers.

I want the string to impart its energy with surface area around the entire post.

People who lock down with barely a wrap are psychos.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Heh, I lock down with barely a wrap, so be afraid of me. I am really curious to hear more arguments for wrapping, though.

Comment

Originally posted by weepingminotaur View Post
        Heh, I lock down with barely a wrap, so be afraid of me. I am really curious to hear more arguments for wrapping, though.
        n The locking mechanism/cam inside the locker is a free piece of metal only touching at certain parts of the machine head post at any given time due to the play in the mechanism required for free movement inside the the locking tuner. You don't want the majority of your resonant loop/trsnfer of the energy from the the strings into the body to be primarily moving through the locking cam, but rather the string wrapped around the post directly to the part that is in touch with the headstock of my guitar more fully.

Just my opinion.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I think I wrap less than once.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I pop 'em in, lock and give about a half turn to tune.

Comment

Apparently, I'm a psycho.​​​​​​​​​

Comment

If you wrap around locking tuners, why did you get locking tuners in the first place? Why not just use regular tuners, then?

Comment

If you wrap more than one full turn, you are an idiot who wasted your money.
                  aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Some people believe in tying the string to the tuning peg for stability. If you ever had to remove a tied-on string, you know there is a special place in hell for these people. The only thing that irks me more is people that do not trim their guitar strings. I will not even pick up a guitar when I see that.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                      Some people believe in tying the string to the tuning peg for stability. If you ever had to remove a tied-on string, you know there is a special place in hell for these people. The only thing that irks me more is people that do not trim their guitar strings. I will not even pick up a guitar when I see that.

Ok, now that is psycho, I take back my statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                        If you wrap around locking tuners, why did you get locking tuners in the first place? Why not just use regular tuners, then?
                        You see my comment? no need to wrap around more than once like a standard wrap which is 2+ -instead, use the locker for the speed of change and avoiding slippage advantage and get the benefit of wrapping the string around the entire peg to better get the energy to the machine head through less parts of metal that are not static against the headstock.

Just feed the string the the locking machine head hole positioned a little less than perpendicular to the nut channel, lock down and pitch up and you'll end up with about a full wrap and maybe a touch more around the locker. easy.
                        Last edited by NegativeEase; 08-14-2022, 06:19 AM.

Comment

2 to 3 wraps locking or not. I play .011 to .056 and need the wraps for tuning stability.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I don't understand how anyone can leave their strings untrimmed. Do they enjoy cutting themselves on the string ends?

Comment

Played in a band with a guy who wouldn't cut off his strings. He told me he used them to stab anyone who couldn't keep time. I didn't get stabbed. Buy a cheap fingernail clipper and give that peghead a haircut.
                              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
                              X