banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I setup a tremolo system so it has the least amount of tension on the body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I setup a tremolo system so it has the least amount of tension on the body?

How do I make sure that my tremolo system has the least amount of tension on the guitar body? 3 springs or 5? Floating or docked?

I'm building a custom guitar that I cut up (see photo). The surprising thing is that when I cut it it still feels sturdy and strong no wiggle or anything which was shocking given the modifications. I like to use the tremolo for guitar drive bombs but now I'm a little worried that if I use the tremolo arm too much it may break off the body and I'll ruin this (IMO) beautiful guitar body. Maybe I'm being paranoid but figured I'd look into things I can do to avoid this.

Also, what do you think given the picture? Should I be worried? I looked at semi hollow cavities with tremolo systems and it seems I may be ok. Thank you.

There is plenty of meat in the core of the guitar. Everything you cut out is in the periphery.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Let us know how it sounds!

If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

In the resting position the pulling force of a floating tremolo is always the same. Messing with springs and claw only changes the forces you need when actually working the trem.

Comment

Yep, the only way to lessen tension is to use lighter strings.....everything else you're talking about is merely used to balance the strings

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
            In the resting position the pulling force of a floating tremolo is always the same. Messing with springs and claw only changes the forces you need when actually working the trem.
            Thanks! Makes sense too.

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
              Let us know how it sounds!
              I'll post a video or sound clips. I'm super curious too. I'm wondering if she will sound like a semi-hollow or a solid or something else who knows until I get it done and plugged in.

Comment

Don't forget to post pictures too. Looks like it'll wind up pretty neat looking.
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

For low-tension tremolo you need a low-tension setup. 9-42 at E will feel great, and 10-46 at E will feel a bit tighter, just like the strings themselves.

Comment

Working...
                  X