Tuning stability on a Blacktop Stratocaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
    How do you use the bridge? Block, deck, float, use it, ignore it?

First step is ALWAYS the nut. It needs to be cut well and lubricated.

My main Strat is an odd amalgamation of MIM neck (like the Hendrix model but pre branding) meaning MIM nut and vintage style tuners, and post-2008 American Standard trem (so 2 post and stamped saddles). After cutting the MIM nut and lubricating it, the guitar stays in tune fantastically for everything except really crazy dive bombs.

So yeah, polish and lube the nut and other friction points first and see where you end up before replacing hardware.
    Cheers, bridge is blocked, I never touch the whammy. I've lubricated the nut previously but didn't seem to affect much. I've got budget to replace everything except the bridge anyway so I might just get it all done in one go to save hassle. I'm pretty good on the electronics side of things but absolutely hopeless when it comes to any kind of woodworking, so I prefer to get someone else to do it!

Comment

Originally posted by spleenharvester View Post
      I've decided I'm gonna start by replacing the tuners with Sperzel Trim Loks,
      Excellent move.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        the guitar stays in tune fantastically for everything except really crazy dive bombs.
        This is the issue I was having with mine. Since adding the locking tuners and the Babicz I can go as crazy as I would like and it always comes back perfectly in tune.

Comment

The likely culprit is the nut slot and the bridge saddle groove. clean those and make sure they are the correct width and depth first

Great upgrades for a Strat?

I'd get a Graphtec nut and saddle which are amazing for tuning stability -as the are made of a graphite lubricant -in 2015 -2018 I was flying to gigs all of the time and my guitar could stay in tune when in the belly of the plane or carryon despite the change in pressure.

Next I'd so Sperzel lockers (my favorite 6 inline machine heads) -or the Schaller made Fender lockers.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
          X