Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post

But when the company the internet has declared to be evil
    Stop believing everything you read on the Internet. I would have to give Gibson, and Alex a thumbs up for this one. This doesn't seem too evil to me.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – Rush’s lead guitarist Alex Lifeson has announced that he’s giving to two Nashville organizations in a major way.

Earlier this week, the legendary guitarist partnered with Gibson Gives, the guitar maker’s philanthropic arm, at the Gibson Garge in Nashville to announce funds that will be directly donated to Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt and the Room In The Inn.

At the event, Lifeson announced he will donate both current and ongoing music royalties from the sales of his recent signature Epiphone Les Paul Axcess guitar. In addition, Gibson Gives announcedthey will donate guitars and gear for music therapy programs at the hospital and Room In The Inn.

Gibson Gives says the guitars will help aid the music therapists at Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital who work with children by using music in unique ways. According to Gibson Gives, music therapy can be used to help children with chronic pain, physical rehabilitation, psychiatric symptoms, end of life, procedural support and coping with hospitalization, and disease...

...In the last three years, Gibson Gives has raised over $3.5 million dollars worldwide for non-profits across the globe. For more information, click here.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Stop believing everything you read on the Internet. I would have to give Gibson, and Alex a thumbs up for this one. This doesn't seem too evil to me.
      In fairness, a billion dollar company MUST give away money purely for a tax strategy if not other reasons. It doesn't make them good people -it makes them smart people. That said, this also shouldn't be the barometer for someone being bad either.

Gibson's also done some other cool things, like being inspired by Yamaha (and Japanese traditions) by giving back IPs of brands they weren't planning on capitalizing on -like Oberheim (thus the first new Keyboard release in in 4 decades this year by Oberheim himself).

The criticism of Gibson for me is rooted in trying to be patent trolls on industries and companies you watched rise for 4 decades before doing anything about it, a decline in quality and customer service in the 2000s for a period of time, and the expansion into a giant lifestyle brand conglomerate instead of a guitar company.

All private equity held companies will have mostly a bunch of silver spoon frat boy ******s with no clue about guitars at the helm -thats the nature of private equity -and isn't any different from other large guitar companies. Just a reality

But to me, Gibson is mostly better now than 15 years ago, and I look forward to they trying to improve and regain some of the value they once had with never guitarists.

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

In fairness, a billion dollar company MUST give away money purely for a tax strategy if not other reasons. It doesn't make them good people -it makes them smart people. That said, this also shouldn't be the barometer for someone being bad either.
        I knew someone was going to take the tax write-off angle. The thing is there are tons of 501c charities, social and political Gibson could have given the money to and had received the same tax incentives. Instead, they decided to help sick children in their community. Not evil in any way in my mind.

Comment

I knew someone was going to take the tax write-off angle. The thing is there are tons of 501c charities, social and political Gibson could have given the money to and had received the same tax incentives. Instead, they decided to help sick children in their community. Not evil in any way in my mind.
          Sure, it's a great thing -but they are compelled to do it in self interests -so I don't think it's the best barometer of a company's goodness or evilness.

I think giving the Oberheim trademark name back to Oberheim came with very little if any personal or corporate benefit -so perhaps it's a slightly better judge of their leadership's quality.

Either way -glad they are doing both.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I wish they would give the Steinberger name to someone that can get the brand going again. Mothballing a brand like that when headless guitars are more popular than ever is silly.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              I wish they would give the Steinberger name to someone that can get the brand going again. Mothballing a brand like that when headless guitars are more popular than ever is silly.
              You know, it's not out of the question -If it's not in their 5 year plan, private equity dudes may see it as another industry goodwill gesture

Gibson's strategy is improving their quality and service, and trying to reign in the use of their IP that they lost control of.

Steinberger really doesn't seem to be in the group's plans

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                trying to reign in the use of their IP that they lost control of.
                I see that being the lawyers more than Gibson's C-Suite. In-house corporate lawyers always have to justify their assistance, outside counsel is always looking for billable hours. Lawyers know if they do not appear busy, clients/companies will decide they do not need them.

Comment

I see that being the lawyers more than Gibson's C-Suite. In-house corporate lawyers always have to justify their assistance, outside counsel is always looking for billable hours. Lawyers know if they do not appear busy, clients/companies will decide they do not need them.
                  Yeah, I'd agree that's possible, it would seem when you acquire a company -you get a bunch a lawyers to evaluate all of your options with regards to legal in the marketplace.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    I’d love for someone to start manufacturing the TransTrem again. Maybe so it can retrofit into a Floyd equipped guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

I’d love for someone to start manufacturing the TransTrem again. Maybe so it can retrofit into a Floyd equipped guitar?
                      Ned Steinberger is working on a new TransTrem design for a brand new NS Guitar.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Meh. Which is exactly what we expect from Gibson.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                        X