New ABR-1 TOM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ABR-1 TOM?

Is this what Faber USA calls a "New" ABR-1 bridge?

Looks slimmer than a Nashville.

Previous owner painted the thing and there's 1 missing intonation screw.

The bridge is already "sagging" and so the radius is off. I can have a machinist straighten this though. But I'm afraid some aftermarket intonation screws might not fit the graphtec saddles I have in stock.

I'm looking for a replacement TOM... seems like Klusons are the cheapest with brass saddles.

I might upgrade the tailpiece with Kluson aluminum as well.

Sent from my 2201116PG using Tapatalk

Update: it's a Nashville TOM

Comment

man, that looks rough! strings, bridge, and tail piece. my lp has graphtech saddles which i love but its also the graphtech resomax bridge so there wasnt any fitment issues. i havent tried the kluson hardware but their tuners work fine

Comment

I was just thinking, all of that could use a date with a sandblaster!
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Geeze, I thought I was hard on hardware . . . did that guy sweat battery acid or something?
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

The Barnacle Bill band gigged that @ the bottom of the Sea.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              man, that looks rough! strings, bridge, and tail piece. my lp has graphtech saddles which i love but its also the graphtech resomax bridge so there wasnt any fitment issues. i havent tried the kluson hardware but their tuners work fine
              Previous owner as into the "punk" scene so he fracked up the beautiful tobacco burst and painted the top and neck black using whatever paint and used a paint brush... Yes, didn't even bother to buy a spray can.

It appears he wanted to paint the hardware as well. The bridge was stuck in there I had to remove the threads first coz it won't wiggle out even with the strings off. Probably some residual paint in the bridge slot. Intonation screws don't work anymore, etc.

I am definitely buying a graphtec nut for this LP deluxe, but the resomax bridge is almost 2x the Kluson zinc with brass saddles.

Historically, the bridge and tailpieces on LPs are zinc alloy right?

I'm also looking at those Kluson Aluminum tailpieces

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                Geeze, I thought I was hard on hardware . . . did that guy sweat battery acid or something?
                It hasn't been touched for years. When it was played, it was played heavy like a "punk rocker" would... Or so the seller said.

It's an original 79 tobacco burst btw.

I'm going to have the top refinished to match the original, but the repainted back I will no longer refinish since it's all worn out and silky smooth to my hands.

The neck btw is the THINNEST Gibson neck ever!

I'll swap the pups out with PG13s and the orig 78 Gibson mini humbuckers I will put in my 60s tribute (where the PG13s are in and used to be P90s)

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I was just thinking, all of that could use a date with a sandblaster!
                  I was tempted to use a chemical paint remover, but I can't remove the intonation screws!

I was thinking of recycling the bridge to avoid fitment issues and just replace the saddles with graphtec and replace the intonation screws.

Sadly, I will have to replace the full bridge now.

Comment

Originally posted by fretburner View Post
                    I was tempted to use a chemical paint remover, but I can't remove the intonation screws!

I was thinking of recycling the bridge to avoid fitment issues and just replace the saddles with graphtec and replace the intonation screws.

Sadly, I will have to replace the full bridge now.

It’s just a standard schaller-made tom. Bridges wear out. Don’t sweat it. If you want to stick with the nashville-style posts, Gotoh makes a fantastic, beefy replacement that drops right on. Unlike schaller, I’ve never seen one of those sag.

Personally, I like Faber Tone Lok stuff with their conversion post inserts but I know the look isn’t for everybody.

There’s also this guy: I’ve got one of his bridges on an old MIJ Vox and it’s pretty beefy.

Last edited by formula73; 08-31-2022, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post

It’s just a standard schaller-made tom. Bridges wear out. Don’t sweat it. If you want to stick with the nashville-style posts, Gotoh makes a fantastic, beefy replacement that drops right on. Unlike schaller, I’ve never seen one of those sag.

Personally, I like Faber Tone Lok stuff with their conversion post inserts but I know the look isn’t for everybody.

There’s also this guy: I’ve got one of his bridges on an old MIJ Vox and it’s pretty beefy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17536968417...mis&media=COPY
                      Big fan of Gotoh hardware, but the ones I see in tubesandmore and other sites are 4mm threads.

I measured the inserts and the threaded part is 5mm. The smooth part above the thumb wheel which slots through the bridge is the 4mm part.

Comment

Originally posted by fretburner View Post
                        Big fan of Gotoh hardware, but the ones I see in tubesandmore and other sites are 4mm threads.

I measured the inserts and the threaded part is 5mm. The smooth part above the thumb wheel which slots through the bridge is the 4mm part.

I don’t think we’re talking about the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post

I don’t think we’re talking about the same thing.
                          Do you have a link of the Gotoh TOM which is a drop in replacement for Gibson USA?

Comment

Why not Faber

I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                              I have checked out their website quite a bit, and all are expensive.

I don't mind having a zinc bridge since zinc/zamak, I believe, was Gibson's original material.

Faber will be an upgrade for sure, but I haven't decided yet if I want an upgrade.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, tubes and more seems to have a zamak bridge which are to Gibson specs.

Any opinions on those?

Comment

Working...
                              X