Gotoh 510 vs VS-100 trems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotoh 510 vs VS-100 trems

Anyone care to comment on pros and cons of the Gotoh 510 & (Wilkinson) VS-100 trems?

Hopefully will get a chance to test something with a 510 trem over the next month but haven't had the opportunity yet.

They are similarly priced here. I notice Suhr use the 510 but have no idea of the differences/benefits of each.

They are almost identical in usage. They sell for nearly the same money. I have a VS-100 on my Vintage Icon M6V24, and I love it. I've worked on guitars that featured the Gotoh 510, and found them to be trouble free.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I would like to get my hands on the 510, but I had 2 guitars with VS100 and they're amazing. Pair those with graphtec nuts and you have both tone and stability.

There's that other Wilkinson trem which locks it via Allen screws on the intonation point, and I heard they're almost as stable as OFRs

Sent from my 2201116PG using Tapatalk

Comment

If the VS100 is the 6 screw, I don’t have experience with that one but the 2 point on my guitar that didn’t have enough space for a Floyd and with a bone nut, locking tuners and a bit of a recess to pull upwards, it’s as stable and smooth as an OFR. Dive-bombs, flutters and all with a nice satin finish.
        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

VS100 is made by Gotoh, and the differences are mainly in the saddle design, whereby they lock down on the bridge and one knife is straight, which allows for some tolerance in stud spacing when fitting to other guitars.

The VS1300 is the locking saddle one. You can buy regular block saddles which lock from Wilkinson as well, to retrofit to your Strat, other Gotohs etc.
          Originally posted by dominus
          Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
            VS100 is made by Gotoh, and the differences are mainly in the saddle design, whereby they lock down on the bridge and one knife is straight, which allows for some tolerance in stud spacing when fitting to other guitars.

The VS1300 is the locking saddle one. You can buy regular block saddles which lock from Wilkinson as well, to retrofit to your Strat, other Gotohs etc.
            That’s pretty much what I have, just in satin chrome.
            The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by fretburner View Post
              I would like to get my hands on the 510, but I had 2 guitars with VS100 and they're amazing. Pair those with graphtec nuts and you have both tone and stability.

There's that other Wilkinson trem which locks it via Allen screws on the intonation point, and I heard they're almost as stable as OFRs

Is that the same model in the image that Ashurbanipal posted below?

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
              If the VS100 is the 6 screw, I don’t have experience with that one but the 2 point on my guitar that didn’t have enough space for a Floyd and with a bone nut, locking tuners and a bit of a recess to pull upwards, it’s as stable and smooth as an OFR. Dive-bombs, flutters and all with a nice satin finish.
              The VS-100 is the 2 point that´s a direct replacement for the 2 point on a modern strat. It´s very similar looking to the pic below but the saddles are slightly different and the body is all one colour.

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post

The VS-100 has locking saddles too, what seems to be different from the pic you posted of the VS-1300 is the second black set screw - the ones closest to the knife edge...I guess from looking at it that it actually locks the string in place too. I´ve never seen that model before.

Comment

Yeah, I was trying to figure out what that other set screw was for...its for locking the string! I wonder how well that works? I never had trouble with my VS100s though.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by playas View Post

Is that the same model in the image that Ashurbanipal posted below?
                  Yes! The VS1300. I just don't have a guitar to try it on. Maybe I'll own an Am Std Strat in the future.

I'm not changing my VS100 guitars. Super happy with them.

Comment

My Washburn USA guitars have the VS100 and they are rock stable. Like the VS100 a lot but if I have the choice will go with the 510. Both are very high quality trems both are rock solid in tuning. Saying that the 510 is much sleeker in appearance and I just prefer the overall smoother more articulate feel. If I were to build a new Kiesel Theos it would definitely have the 510.
                    Guitars
                    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Yes, apologies for the slight confusion - bad wording on my part. The VS100 has hex set bolts for the saddles which is how they're held down to the bridge, since the plate doesn't have a perpendicular wall where they can be mounted, like a Fender. The VS1300 has an extra set of bolts for actually locking the string down. I think this variant of the trem is fairly new.

These are the aftermarket type Wilkinson saddles you can fit to most trems. Supposedly they work well, I recall Pete Thorn testing them before they were available, and he still seems to use them on his Suhrs. Anyway, I guess if you do more intense whamming but want something less fiddly/complex than a Floyd, it seems like a good compromise.
                      Originally posted by dominus
                      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Wilkinson VS100/300+, Gotoh 500-series, Hipshot Contour...can't lose with any of them!

Comment

Working...
                        X