Favourite affordable guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite affordable guitars?

My fiancée (member “cyberkitten”) wants and is absolutely good enough again to warrant a replacement for her electric that sadly burned up in a shed fire. Ideally I would give her one of mine but she’s a righty. She does not want me to spend too much money on it. She doesn’t care about hardware as she’ll upgrade it if need be and definitely doesn’t care about finish, just wants a solid painted colour as she’s an artist and has all these cool ideas about body and finish modifications.

She played a lot of rock and punk but knew it was a total POS beginner guitar that came with a tiny practice amp. Now that it won’t be necessary as she gets to rock with my gear so the whole price can go into the axe. Doesn’t need to be 3/4 size as she plays very cleanly and competently on a full-size steel string. What would you recommend the rockin’ gal who just wants something solid but cheap she can mess with to her heart’s content?
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Well, for me, (since you didnt define exactly) I would consider "cheap" guitar would be 200-500 USD

For sub 300.00. nothing beats a Yamaha Pacifica or Squire Affinity but some dudes rave on Harley Bentons on here and I picked one up in the store in London and it was similarly priced and pretty good.

Sweetwater puts G&L. ASAT Teles on sale on the regular for $300 and they are regular 450-550 -they are pretty excellent

As far as value and quality goes in $300-500 range...Nothing beats a Gretsch Streamliner series IME

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I was going to say, a Yamaha Pacifica. They have them at a few price points, but they are all good guitars. A Classic Vibe Squier is also a good idea, if she digs Fender-ish things.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I’ll show her around all the suggestions. Criteria is so far something easy to prep for repainting and no matter the style/scheme, the ability to easily put a bucker in the bridge for when she wants to rock. Can be H-S-S, H-H, H-S-H, H-x-H, doesn’t bother her. She’s not counting any shapes out, but the more unique and funky, the better.

I have a good feeling about the solid black Gretsch. I get the vibe she’s more of a Gibson style girl. Maybe even an Ibanez LP style might do the trick!
        Last edited by El Dunco; 09-03-2022, 07:00 AM.
        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

Pro Series | Style: Semi-Hollow | Body: Mahogany | Top: AAA flamed maple veneer | Glued-in neck: roasted maple | Fingerboard: roasted maple | White Pearloid dot fingerboard inlays | 2 mm Glow-in-the-dark side dots | Neck profile: C - thickness at 1st fret: 22 mm, thickness at 12th fret 24 mm | Matte neck finish - body high-gloss lacquered | Single layer wood binding | Scale: 635 mm (25") | Fingerboard radius: 350 mm (1378") | Nut width: 43 mm (1.69") | Graphite nut | 22 Medium Jumbo Blacksmith stainless steel frets | Pickups: 2 Tesla VR-2 AlNiCo 5 humbuckers | 1 Volume and 1 tone control | Push/Pull function for coil split | 3-Way toggle switch | WSC Tune-O-Matic style bridge | Truss rod with spoke wheel access | Tuners: HB J-03 Mini L3, R3 | Chrome hardware | Factory strings: .010 - .046 | Colour: Gloss Flame Bengal Burst

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
            I’ll show her around all the suggestions. Criteria is so far something easy to prep for repainting and no matter the style/scheme, the ability to easily put a bucker in the bridge for when she wants to rock. Can be H-S-S, H-H, H-S-H, H-x-H, doesn’t bother her. She’s not counting any shapes out, but the more unique and funky, the better.
            !
            Just FYI, most Gretsch streamliners come with a "Broadtron" humbucker pickup which a hotter rockier version of the classic "Filtertron" but retaining some of the "breath" "Depth" and "airiness" (if thats a word) of a Gretsch sound.....

So the streamliners are more rockier than a classic Gretsch
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

For Sale! Asking: EUR650, without shipping and/or case. Case + shipping to the USA: 200EUR. Willing to negotiate prices! Specs: Neck: solid rosewood. Fretboard: ebony, 22 frets, 24.75" scale, mop inlay Top: full thickness maple. Back: full thickness white Limba. Bridge Pickup: seymour Duncan JB/Fullshred hybrid Neck
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Even with that low a price, she couldn’t bring herself to repaint it and doesn’t want so many humbuckers.

Comment

For this kind of purpose I bought a Gibson Les Paul Studio satin for around $600. I use it to test pickups and wiring. Fun guitar, weight relieved but sounds good. Needed a little work to make it play in tune better, but it's surprising how much I've used it over the last 5-10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    For this kind of purpose I bought a Gibson Les Paul Studio satin for around $600. I use it to test pickups and wiring. Fun guitar, weight relieved but sounds good. Needed a little work to make it play in tune better, but it's surprising how much I've used it over the last 5-10 years.
                    I’m swimming in decent aftermarket bridges and tuners, so that shouldn’t be a problem. As long as she doesn’t feel it’s “too much” for something she’s going to sand down, do all kinds of crazy artistic things to and refinish (as well as playing obviously.)

Comment

Get the guaranteed best price on Solid Body Electric Guitars like the Jackson Warrior JS32T Electric Guitar at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.

cheap, play great, easy to mod and paint.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post
                        https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...ior%20&index=2
                        cheap, play great, easy to mod and paint.
                        Hmm, another definite contendor?

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                          As far as value and quality goes in $300-500 range...Nothing beats a Gretsch Streamliner series IME

Ditto to this. I love mine. The new ones are slightly more money and they changed the syling a bit, nut still, sweet guitars.

Comment

Squier classic vibe…

Comment

As always, Squier CVs, but also Pacificas, and even Corts around the +400$ mark, those will all play great and have great build quality for the price.
                              Just depends on the preferred route, style-wise for her.
                              The biggest difference between Chet Atkins and Dimebag? Probably the beard...

Comment

Working...
                              X