What should I use to clean my neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I use to clean my neck?

The neck on my fender JMJ road worn bass is starting to get sticky the more I play it, I think they rubbed gunk all over the neck as part of the aging process. What should I use to clean it with? It's a maple neck. I'm not sure if I should use body cleaner or fingerboard cleaner? What would you suggest?
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Lemon cleaner would get almost any gunk off the finish, but if you want the neck to be satiny - not sticky - then lightly buff the back of the neck with some light gray or maroon Scotchbrite. You don't have to use much pressure, just enough make it smooth.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I'd suggest cleaner over oil after you do the Scotchbrite trick.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
        Lemon cleaner would get almost any gunk off the finish, but if you want the neck to be satiny - not sticky - then lightly buff the back of the neck with some light gray or maroon Scotchbrite. You don't have to use much pressure, just enough make it smooth.
        Is there a difference between the grey and maroon? What do you suggest?
        It's funny how some stories became historic,
        especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
        But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          This, also I use Naptha on tough spots on the metallic parts.....
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Naphtha takes of nearly any gunk without affecting finishes, even delicate ones.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post

Is there a difference between the grey and maroon? What do you suggest?
              The finest grade of Scotch-Brite is the white. 3M says it's basically equivalent to 0000 steel wool.
              Often hard to find in regular hardware stores but you can order it online.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Yes, it's a matter of "grit". Dark gray is rough, then maroon, then light gray, then white. I can't remember about green.... The key is light pressure.
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
                X