NGD: 2018 Gibson Limited Edition Les Paul Junior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: 2018 Gibson Limited Edition Les Paul Junior

I own a 2019 Gibson Original Collection TV Yellow Special and I absolutely adore it. You all know how it goes...once you have a soap bar P90 Gibson, you can't stop the lust for a dog ear one. The last several times I went to the shop where my guitar tech works, I saw a lovely 2018 Junior on the wall (the one with the pre-war acoustic logo on it that sold so well Gibson decided to tweak it a touch, add other models, and release it again under the Original Collection moniker). I called up the owner a few weeks ago and asked him how long it's been there and if he'd be willing to work out a deal for it as a trade for a guitar and a cab that he knows I have (and likes). He said the guitar had been there too long and so, yes, bring over the guitar and cab and he'll work something out.

The guitar I had decided to trade was a 1977 Aria Pro II Tobacco Burst LP Custom (properly upgraded top to bottom to Gibson specs). This guitar is lovely, really pristine and, along with the Seymour Duncan APH-2 (Slash) set, sounds absolutely killer. But...my big hands crave a more robust neck. I really, REALLY liked that guitar but it just wasn't getting the gigging/playing time because the neck lends itself to that unbalanced feel 70's LPCs are known to have (I'm guessing a few of you know what I mean). The Cab was a Jet City 412 loaded with Vintage 30's that also wasn't getting any use. My Marshall JCM800 cab stays at my main band's rehearsal space and my Marshall 1936 cab (it's an all birch build one) gets all the playing time here at the house and is easily transported for my other band's gigs and rehearsals.

So I took them over and thought that I'd do the deal so long as the Junior felt right and I didn't have to put too much money into it.

Suffice to say, the Junior felt awesome and the deal was a straight swap...no money into at all.

I put strap lock buttons on it, replaced the black knobs with vintage repro gold bonnet knobs w/pointers, swapped out the truss rod for a proper Creamtone single-ply one, replaced the tuners with the a Gotoh Magnum Lock set (I have these tuners on my Special as well) and adjusted the neck a touch. Finally, I had my tech rip out the pcb board electronics and properly hand wire it all up.

I absolutely LOVE this guitar...woohoo!

PICS:

1988 Fender MIJ ST54 Hardtail Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
    2005 Edwards E-JR-100LTD/DC w/Gibson P90
    2012 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Mahogany Satin
    2015 Fender Road Worn '50s Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
    2018 Gibson Limited Edition Les Paul Junior
    -------
    1979 Marshall JMP 2204
    1997 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
    2021 Epic Amplification AR50
    2022 Mojotone British 800 2204​

Yessssss! That looks killer! Bet it sounds even better.
    I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Nice one. I like the vintage script logo. Locking tuners. That thing should rock all day and all night long.

Comment

Pound for pound prolly the most perfect playing / sounding guitar ive ever owned.

Comment

I really dig those tuners!
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Wow very cool!
            My Bands -
            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              I really dig those tuners!
              Thank you. They work GREAT and look stock from the front...plus they're a direct drop in upgrade.
              1988 Fender MIJ ST54 Hardtail Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
              2005 Edwards E-JR-100LTD/DC w/Gibson P90
              2012 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Mahogany Satin
              2015 Fender Road Worn '50s Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
              2018 Gibson Limited Edition Les Paul Junior
              -------
              1979 Marshall JMP 2204
              1997 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
              2021 Epic Amplification AR50
              2022 Mojotone British 800 2204​

Comment

That guitar screams rock me. I love it.

Comment

Those are really cool guitars congrats. I need a good P90 guitar myself unique tones.
                  Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

An LPJ was used by Steve Howe throughout one of my favorite albums, the much-maligned Tales from Topographic Oceans by Yes. An LPJ and a fuzz...into a Twin or Dual Showman...that's the sound.

Comment

Great looking guitar. I don't ever long for a dogear P-90, I love the adjustability of the soapbar too much.

Dave, I never realized that Howe used a LPJr on that album. Of course everything he does sounds terrific no matter which of his guitars he's playing. "Topographic" is a great, and very under-rated album.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        Great looking guitar. I don't ever long for a dogear P-90, I love the adjustability of the soapbar too much.

Dave, I never realized that Howe used a LPJr on that album. Of course everything he does sounds terrific no matter which of his guitars he's playing. "Topographic" is a great, and very under-rated album.
                        Indeed it is...those long sustaining fuzzy sounds are all LPJ!

Comment

Working...
                        X