No announcement yet.

Jazz III pick roundup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So after trying serval pick versions over the years and playing many live gigs I’ve found:

- Jazz iii shape is my favorite and the small pick size with pointed tip gives me the most picking accuracy, stability, and least likelihood of losing grip.
    - The max grip is the least likely to fly out of my grip
    - The red ones are easiest to see

……so……after finding the right shape for my style, all other concerns are around if I’ll lose grip and how easy it is to see on a stage.

Comment

As a long-time Jazz III guy, I switched to the Ernie Ball Prodigy 2 mm in the small Jazz-ish size (they're actually a bit smaller than the normal Jazz III), and I can't imagine ever using anything else. They sound great, something about their texture makes them easier to grip despite being smaller, being smaller gives them even better control and pinch harmonics, and the bevel makes them super-fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
        As a long-time Jazz III guy, I switched to the Ernie Ball Prodigy 2 mm in the small Jazz-ish size (they're actually a bit smaller than the normal Jazz III), and I can't imagine ever using anything else. They sound great, something about their texture makes them easier to grip despite being smaller, being smaller gives them even better control and pinch harmonics, and the bevel makes them super-fast.
        I used those for awhile but found they wear too fast. I'd manage to round the edge off after an hour or two of playing and the difference was noticeable. I really liked them when fresh but got tired of constantly swapping picks.

I'm using the carbon fiber Jazz 3s now. I don't like them as much but they last forever so it's one less thing to worry about. If they made a carbon fiber in the prodigy shape (particularly the bevel), I'd absolutely buy that instead.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

I noticed on my Jazz IIIs, I don't like any raised writing or ridges or anything like that.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I noticed on my Jazz IIIs, I don't like any raised writing or ridges or anything like that.
            I am a sweaty guy, so the more grip that I can get on the pick the better - it usually translates into me being able to keep a lighter hold on the pick which lets me relax and play faster.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I discovered this beauty the other day, an Ibanez Paul Gilbert pick. Really enjoying it!
              Attached Files
              "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
              "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
              "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
              "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Comment

Originally posted by Markk View Post
                I discovered this beauty the other day, an Ibanez Paul Gilbert pick. Really enjoying it!
                I love the colours!
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Pickboy carbon edge …give them a try
                  '05 Gibson SG Standard
                  '07 Gibson Sg Standard Emg 81/85
                  PRS IRW McCarty
                  '92 Fender MIA Telecaster
                  82 Usa Epiphone Spirit w/ Dirtyfingers

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I am a sweaty guy, so the more grip that I can get on the pick the better - it usually translates into me being able to keep a lighter hold on the pick which lets me relax and play faster.
                    Me too. Many people equate the max-grip to gripping, but it's more about not gripping.

Comment

I use a Jazz III Tortex .88. I switched from the standard Tortex .88 about 6 years ago and noticed my rhythm playing got much tighter. I cant even go back to standard picks anymore.
                      Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
                      Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

This is what is left of mine. Not sure what happened to it lol

Comment

How does that even happen? None of my picks have ever had beat down like that
                          "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
                          "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
                          "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
                          "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Comment

How does that even happen? None of my picks have ever had beat down like that
                            Not really sure. I may have gotten it in a 90s concert after it being stomped on.

Comment

Working...
                            X