NCGPD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCGPD

New custom guitar project day! At my wife's cousin's 40th party, his brother asked about the Ibby Pro Line project and I told him I needed a bigger drill press for the FR posts. He said his work has that and a CNC. He told me if I ever wanted to make a guitar, get a hold of him. A week later I showed him what I ordered and it showed up today. The neck is premade/unfinished and is sporting a 25.5" scale. The frets are done up great and the dot inlays look good too. The blank is a glued 2 piece slab of Alder from Exotic Woods. It even came with a free fingerboard as a gift and I went with purple heart I'm going to whip up a 7 string version of my first guitar that was a Westone. Since I picked up that Spectrum I, I have a body and headstock I can make templates from. I'm going with a H,S pickup configuration master volume and either a master tone or one for each pickup with a 3 way switch. Then maybe a coil split for the humbucker. As far as pickups, not sure what I'll go with yet, but I'll worry about that later. Of course there'll be progress pics along the way. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220915_154753.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	6196641 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220915_161522.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	6196642

Slowly moving forward. On the template, I have the center of the tuner holes about 20mm apart, but I'll have to get a set in and probably remeasure the placement of the holes just to be sure I don't get too close to the end of the headstock.

Comment

I love reading about this stuff! I can't wait to see more in-process pics. Thanks for sharing!
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yes indeed. Keep us posted with lots of pics. I love looking at all the ideas people have for their guitar designs and colors. Love purpleheart. Get that next project going as well.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Sounds like a cool plan.

Comment

Got the first wave of parts in. Guyker burnt chrome tuners, licensed Floyd, and a Lace Alumitone SC7. Got knobs, a couple jack plates, and pots on the way. I have been looking at Widdershin Guitars for the humbucker. The guy is doing up a 7 version of an 8.25k pickup. So I'll either go with that or hold out and see if he does more 7 versions of his models. I'm also gearing up to cut the headstock shape out. Might have to pick up a coping saw if there's not one out in the garage.
            Attached Files

Comment

"Coping saw"?!

You plan on working half a day to cut it out, then another day or two to correct all the mistakes and then sand it?

You need a band saw (not a coping saw). And one of these...

Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

those small table sanders, mine can also be a router, are very handy to have around the shop if you do a fair amount of work. i have a bandsaw too, which is very handy, but not everyone needs one

Comment

I have a Ryobi PSBCS02 cut off tool. I usually have a tendency to bungle things when I use powered sanding tools, so I usually hand sand things. But I have thought of using the Ryobi on the 3 straight cuts, then coping saw the curve section. Here's the shape of what I'm doing in the pic.

Comment

Things got going a bit faster than expected. Sergio at Guitar Resourses does 3d modeling for CNC's and he had posted a Westone Dimension IV body he did up on a group I'm in. So I hit him up and with pictures of my Spectrum I sent, he made it happen! It was a blast chatting with him along the process. When I go in to have the blank cut, I'll take the neck and have access to better wood tools and shape that headstock.

Comment

Working...
                    X