banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selling of guitars, how much price drop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling of guitars, how much price drop?

How much are you willing to lower the price when selling a guitar? Do you have a certain rule, like sell it at least 75% of new sticker price (if in pretty good condition)? Or are you more willing to let it go just for the sake of letting it go and having less clutter?

I'm in this situation now, hmmm.
    "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
    "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
    "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
    "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

depends on what it is, what the market will bear, and how quick you need to sell it. look at ebay, reverb, etc... and see what things are selling for (not the asking price, but actual sale price). if theres a lot of X available then you wont get as much for it than if there are only a few at the time.

Comment

Yep . . . it totally depends. I've listed stuff that I thought was too expensive that sold instantly and listed stuff that I thought was ridiculously cheap that nobody wanted. It's a crapshoot. Usually if I'm selling something I list for a little less than the going rate because I want to get rid of it.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Hard to compare. My Epi LP is from many moons ago. I can really only compare it to modern LP Customs. I got an offer at 55% the price of a new Epi LP Custom. I'm hesitant, but then again haven't sold or bought too many used guitars lately.
        "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
        "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
        "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
        "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Comment

Gruhn's in Nashville will give you 65% of what the going rate is.

Comment

I try to always buy used and buy brands that are popular. Buying a used Fender American Strat means you’ll probably will get pretty much what you bought it for. If you buy a Custom Kiesel you may take a significant hit. Or when folks put a Warmoth together with awesome specs.

Comment

It really depends on the local market you live in and have access to. I'm pretty isolated in a city of 700,000. Nearest other urban centre is 6 hour drive away. So if there isn't a fair price buyer here then I'm pretty much forced to either drop the price to a point where someone who loves the deal more than the gear will scoop it up, or explore options like Reverb.
              -
              My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
                It really depends on the local market you live in and have access to. I'm pretty isolated in a city of 700,000. Nearest other urban centre is 6 hour drive away. So if there isn't a fair price buyer here then I'm pretty much forced to either drop the price to a point where someone who loves the deal more than the gear will scoop it up, or explore options like Reverb.
                ... Winnipeg?

When I'm the buyer I expect a used guitar to cost 60-75% of what it cost new (excluding tax) unless it's old and collectible. I price my used stuff similarly.

I usually price in $50-200 of room to negotiate down, but if the listing sits awhile I'll cut that room down and see if I can sell with the price firm. Some buyers don't negotiate at all and some buyers expect to be able to negotiate a lot, so you'll never please both sides.

Custom stuff and partscasters require more patience if you don't want to take a bigger loss, but Kiesel resale is still a lot better than it used to be as long as you don't order some 5A rainbow puke burst poplar burl.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bigcupholder View Post
                  Kiesel resale is still a lot better than it used to be as long as you don't order some 5A rainbow puke burst poplar burl.
                  5A rainbow puke burst poplar burl is the only finish that expresses who I am as a musician!
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

well good thing you wont be getting rid of it then!

Comment

Gibson Les Paul resale is generally what the appropriate retail price should be.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

My goal is to sell the item for 10% -20% more than the established value on Reverb.

I do this by NOT selling on Reverb -which is a red ocean of informed buyers and instead selling on other platforms and some physical stores as consignment.
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by bigcupholder View Post
                          ... Winnipeg?
                          Yes. It's a weird market. Your stuff either sells immediately or it languishes forever. Buyers expect to pay used prices from 2008. Sellers expect current retail minus 5% (to them "saving the taxes" is deal enough). Putting "Price firm" in an ad here is like putting "Not for sale".
                          Last edited by Powdered Toast Man; 09-19-2022, 01:54 PM.
                          -
                          My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

75% of new is pretty high by my standards, I'm rather aiming at 2/3rds.

I don't like fooling around with a thing too much. If the buyer looks reliable and reputable I rather push the item out on an offer.

This is not an invitation to lowball me from now on to the end of time

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                              If you buy a Custom Kiesel you may take a significant hit.
                              Depends on the Kiesel right now used Kiesels across the board are selling for much more than they were bought new for. That depends on options as some are nuts on the crazy stuff and loose big. Saying that a solid basic Kiesel is bringing more today that it was built for say 4 or so years ago. Wish it wasn't so as have tried to buy a couple over the last few months but is fact. Older Carvins are also way up now.

Guitars
                              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                              X