banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why won't Gibson knobs fit my Gibson guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why won't Gibson knobs fit my Gibson guitar?

So I bought a set of black tophat knobs, a set of black reflector knobs, and a set of amber tophat knobs. Only the amber ones fit my guitar!

Problem is I think my guitar looks the worst with those. I'd really like some black tophat knobs for my guitar, but I don't know which I should buy, then?

My guitar has the Gibson quick connect harness, but it looks like the pots themselves are the usual Gibson-branded CTS... or are they not? Is there a way to know?

Where did you buy the knobs? If you bought them off of eBay or somewhere like that, they could be counterfeit and not fit. Just a thought.

Comment

They're not necessarily "counterfeit", but they are "import" knobs. Many metric (Asian) knobs are sold as LP replacement knobs. They do NOT fit Gibson LP guitars (Imperial/American).

If you bought them online you must check that they specifically say they fit Gibson, guitars or are Imperial or American.

Also, the knobs that fit American pots (CTS, etc) have 24 splines for 1/4" shaft and are referred to as "fine knurled". The Asian/metric knobs are "course knurled" with 18 splines for 6mm shaft .
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Yeah, it might just be the metric system.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I bought them off Long and McQuade. They come in a Gibson branded package and all.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
            I bought them off Long and McQuade. They come in a Gibson branded package and all.
            That's odd. Since they came from Long & McQuade, I'd return them to exchange for the corresponding fine-spline knobs.
            Gibson also sells knobs to fit their Epiphone line; those are metric spec. It's possible L & McQ got a batch that was mislabeled.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

^ +1.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
              X