banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Modified Ovation Celebrity....................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Modified Ovation Celebrity....................

I had bought a used Ovation Celebrity and a few issues were discovered that I need to change. The action was too high for my taste and the back and the bottom of the guitar was awkward and slippery. I added Schaller strap locks for my own taste. I took my nut files and slotted my nut deeper and then slotted the bridge saddle for slinkier strings and improved action. I drilled 6 holes in a brass cylindrical piece of brass as a tone enhancer. I feed D'Addario 10s electric strings through the brass before going into the bridge to improve tone and sustain. I then added silicone in lines on the back and bottom of the guitar to prevent sliding and shifting. This guitar plays as smoothly as my Les Paul guitars.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0021.jpg Views:	62 Size:	205.2 KB ID:	6198745 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0022.jpg Views:	59 Size:	106.2 KB ID:	6198746 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0023.jpg Views:	58 Size:	82.4 KB ID:	6198747 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0024.jpg Views:	57 Size:	53.1 KB ID:	6198748
    Last edited by Jeffblue; 09-29-2022, 10:50 AM.

I’ve never heard of the brass trick. I have an Adamas, which I love. I’d think electric strings would make it too plinky, but if it works for you, awesome.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I’ve never heard of the brass trick. I have an Adamas, which I love. I’d think electric strings would make it too plinky, but if it works for you, awesome.
      Normally electric strings would sound plinky. Acoustic strings normally are brass or bronze wound for deeper tone. The brass at the tail of the guitar compensates for the lack of brass or bronze in the strings.

Comment

Any mod that makes you play more is a good mod. That silicone thing looks ugly as sin though. :P
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          Any mod that makes you play more is a good mod. That silicone thing looks ugly as sin though. :P
          I agree about how ugly the silicone is. With more practice I might possibly make it look better, but it sure works beautifully.

Comment

Hey, even the brass pipe isn't really a looker, BUT if it functions, it's an upgrade. I completely support the mods.
            And a huge plus - it's all easily undone and brought back to stock.
            The biggest difference between Chet Atkins and Dimebag? Probably the beard...

Comment

Originally posted by DCikes88 View Post
              Hey, even the brass pipe isn't really a looker, BUT if it functions, it's an upgrade. I completely support the mods.
              And a huge plus - it's all easily undone and brought back to stock.
              Not a pipe, it is a solid piece of cylindrical brass.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffblue View Post
                Not a pipe, it is a solid piece of cylindrical brass.
                Oh no, yeah, I caught that in your original post. I just used pipe because it cracked me up.
                The biggest difference between Chet Atkins and Dimebag? Probably the beard...

Comment

That's pretty smart with the silicone.

Comment

I have the same guitar but its my porch plinker and I dont think its worth the work.
                    Last edited by solspirit; 09-29-2022, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
                      I have the same guitar but its my porch plinker and I dont think its work the work.
                      Even a cheap porch plinker can have a tendency to slide off of your lap.

Comment

The silicone thing is interesting and certainly doesn't cost much. If it was mine, I'd probably look into some of the "grip tape" options you can pick up on Amazon. All sorts of textures and widths, from rolls to sheets.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                          The silicone thing is interesting and certainly doesn't cost much. If it was mine, I'd probably look into some of the "grip tape" options you can pick up on Amazon. All sorts of textures and widths, from rolls to sheets.
                          Yes sir, I get it. The silicon turned out ugly but it works really well. With the grip tape, I suppose I was worried about abrasion damage to my jeans or shirts while playing the guitar.

Comment

I think the brass is a smart idea. My 73 Ovation solid body has a brass bridge. It makes me wonder if Ovation ever considered brass for their acoustics. For a cleaner look on the back and bottom you might consider a sheet of silicone, then again, it may be too smooth and not fix the sliding problem. Gibson Flying V ribbed rubber leg rest material could also be a cleaner solution.

Comment

Oh man, all this work so you can play "Wanted....Dead or Alive?" (I kid)

That bridge idea is pretty cool -you should post a sound clip, and I respect any mod that works for the slippage no matter how ugly -as playing an ovation on your lap is a terrible feeling thing.
                              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                              X