banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to get finish issue quoted/repaired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get finish issue quoted/repaired?

Recently picked up a barely used 7-string Sterling JP model in "Mint" condition and it arrived with a nasty chip/lifting finish extending from the lower edge of the neck pocket to the pickup cavity.

It's a little hard to see from the photo alone, but a sliver of the finish has already broken out (I can't find it) and the similarly sized/shaped piece you see in the photo below is lifted and tweaked, pretty much ready to fall off the guitar, so I'm being careful not to mess with it!

Seller is suggesting this blemish is shipping related and the guitar had no blems prior to shipping. I'm not entirely sure if it could be proven that the carrier was at fault somehow, especially since the box was in pretty decent shape.

Seller says he purchased package protection (likely through Reverb) and that I need to get a quote for repair in order to receive a partial refund. I'm not all that familiar with Reverb's protection from the buyer's perspective, but I know most claims systems pay out the seller/shipper directly, not the buyer.

Any idea what would be the best place to approach about a repair like this?

Any specific recommendations in the Seattle area?

Seeing the crack is mostly in the black, I would probably attempt to fix that myself. I would mix some black stain with some clear to fill the crack. Then some light sanding and a bit of buffing.

Comment

Is the wood cracked? This is not uncommon in bolt-on neck guitars that have been dropped or otherwise handled roughly.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
        Is the wood cracked? This is not uncommon in bolt-on neck guitars that have been dropped or otherwise handled roughly.
        I don't think so, but I'm tempted to pull the neck and make sure.

I could possibly attempt the repair myself, but seller wants something tangible (like a quote) to move forward with a partial refund

Comment

Working...
        X