banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do with your knobs on a HH Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do with your knobs on a HH Strat?

What do you do with your knobs on a HH Strat? Do you just do a standard master volume and two tone knobs or something else?

1 master volume and 1 master tone.

Comment

I'd probably do individual tones that pull up for splits.
      You could do master volume, master tone, and the third as a spin-a-split for one pickup.
      (Or a stacked pot as spin-a-split for both)

Some might prefer two individual pickup volumes with one master tone that pulls up to partially split both.
      I like that arrangement on the DGT; it allows Les Paul-type balancing subtlety that superStrats normally don't have..

Master volume is simpler though, especially for those unaccustomed to 4-knob guitars
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Turn them up and down

Master volume and two tone

Unless you want to get crazy, there are a million options.
        Last edited by solspirit; 09-29-2022, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. 80's View Post
          1 master volume and 1 master tone.
          this is what I do. Usually I use a Fender S1 volume to master split the 2 HBs.

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

B VOL (with a kill switch), N VOL (with a push-pull phase), master tone

Comment

I've done all the options when I think about it. My oldest Frankenstrat has a single volume control, no tone control. I've had it with 2 tone before, 1 tone. My last Warmoth build was 1 volume / 1 tone with auto-splits in 2 and 4 on the 5-way. It was a cool setup.

Comment

If I were to put one together with three pots I'd probably do individual volumes with a master tone.

Comment

Originally posted by unleashthejay View Post
                  What do you do with your knobs on a HH Strat?
                  Usually I turn them.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

One of them makes the guitar louder or quieter, one of them cuts bass, and the third sits in my parts drawer where my pinky will never accidentally hit it
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

My HH Strat is wired with two independent volumes and a master tone.

I used a five way superswitch to give the following selections:

P1 - bridge full humbucker
                      P2 - both pickups slug coils
                      P3 - both pickups full humbucker
                      P4 - both pickups screw coils
                      P5 - neck full humbucker

I can turn off the pickup I don't want in P2 or P4 by turning down its volume pot.. i suppose I could gave used push-pushes to completely isolate the pickups but I didnt bother. On a Strat I prefer push pushes to push pulls because I can't grip standard strat knobs well enough to pull on them.

Inspired by Mincer, I flipped the magnet in the neck pickup and wired it in backwards so it's RWRP relative to the bridge, giving me hum canceling in P2 and P4.

You could also copy the P-Rails circuit on the SD website to accomplish much the same as I did using push pushes / push pulls, but the wiring is very complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
                        My HH Strat is wired with two independent volumes and a master tone.

I used a five way superswitch to give the following selections:

P1 - bridge full humbucker
                        P2 - both pickups slug coils
                        P3 - both pickups full humbucker
                        P4 - both pickups screw coils
                        P5 - neck full humbucker

I can turn off the pickup I don't want in P2 or P4 by turning down its volume pot.. i suppose I could gave used push-pushes to completely isolate the pickups but I didnt bother. On a Strat I prefer push pushes to push pulls because I can't grip standard strat knobs well enough to pull on them.

Inspired by Mincer, I flipped the magnet in the neck pickup and wired it in backwards so it's RWRP relative to the bridge, giving me hum canceling in P2 and P4.

You could also copy the P-Rails circuit on the SD website to accomplish much the same as I did using push pushes / push pulls, but the wiring is very complicated.
                        That's a really cool and very flexible setup. I have the same thing except I used master volume and master tone controls. The third knob on mine is a dummy.

This was how my Blacktop Strat came wired from the factory except it used two tone controls and a master volume. Totally sold me on just how great a HH Strat can sound and it is seriously like the Swiss Army Knife of guitars. For those occasions when I can only take one guitar, my Blacktop Strat is it.

The only issue I had with it in stock form was that the (BHK) neck pickup was not very good sounding and it was a total pain to replace since it was wound very differently than SD pickups. I opted to just redo the whole thing with a Custom Custom bridge and Pearly Gates neck. Flipped the magnet and reverse wired the CC for proper hum cancelling in all positions. It works just like it did stock except the SD pickups sound leaps and bounds better than the BHKs.

Comment

I have this wiring on several guitars with different pairs of pickups. It works well on all of them and I love that all positions are hum cancelling.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                          X