banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volume knob and pickup switch get in my way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Or, sharpen the switch tip into a point and attach a razor to the volume knob…your technique would change quickly!
    Hahahahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Or, sharpen the switch tip into a point and attach a razor to the volume knob…your technique would change quickly!
      I bet the few students that survive, really appreciate your approach. Very motivational!

Regarding OPs dilemma...
      Honestly, the simplest and cheapest solution is to buy a blank pickguard in whatever color you want and make the controls fully custom, positioned perfectly just for you. As far as modding goes, it's barely a chore and it could be great fun, along with solving your controls position problem.
      Technique can be improved anytime on any instrument/layout. Conscius effort, discipline, time, bla bla, you know what's needed there.
      The biggest difference between Chet Atkins and Dimebag? Probably the beard...

Comment

A dual-concentric pot would allow you to have both the vol & tone in the tone position. You'd need a new pickguard if you didn't want the hole.

Buy CTS dual concentric 500K audio taper pots and other guitar electronic parts at GuitarElectronics.com. Huge selection, low prices and quantity discounts.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
          A dual-concentric pot would allow you to have both the vol & tone in the tone position. You'd need a new pickguard if you didn't want the hole.

Buy CTS dual concentric 500K audio taper pots and other guitar electronic parts at GuitarElectronics.com. Huge selection, low prices and quantity discounts.
          I think you could cover up the hole elegantly...I've seen guitar 'hole plugs' before. But they make smaller, concentric knobs.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Use a Jazz III pick. You can't do the same kinds of wild spazzy strumming with a Jazz III as with a bigger pick . . . either it will fly out of your hands, or you'll bash your fingers into the strings. Forces better technique.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Ok, lets go back for a sec. What if my original comment was worded like this: "Lots of times when I'm playing on this guitar, **due to previous injuries and arthritis in my hands, when my picking hand starts getting a little sore** I end up hitting the volume knob and pickup switch with my pinky finger." I am in pain way too much in my life so I try and forget about it and try not to bring it up into things I am describing. So anyway, that's why I am not looking for any technique changes. I play how I play because it's the only way I can do it comfortably and I can enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by ForkliftJeff View Post
                Ok, lets go back for a sec. What if my original comment was worded like this: "Lots of times when I'm playing on this guitar, **due to previous injuries and arthritis in my hands, when my picking hand starts getting a little sore** I end up hitting the volume knob and pickup switch with my pinky finger." I am in pain way too much in my life so I try and forget about it and try not to bring it up into things I am describing. So anyway, that's why I am not looking for any technique changes. I play how I play because it's the only way I can do it comfortably and I can enjoy it.
                Where's the arthritis located? If it's coming from the fingers where you hold the pick, maybe something that clips to your thumb like one of these:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	8163sI1IYNL._AC_SX425_.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	6199923

would reduce the pain in your fingers because you wouldn't have to grip so hard?

If the pain is in your wrist, then I think you'll have to move the switch and pot. I don't remember how much space there is routed under the guard on those Godins though. Have you checked?
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Ouch, aren't all of us going through this and worse? IMO you go with the flow and change your technique, because of you don't the next issue will mess you up twice as much. And you know that there more coming.

Comment

Originally posted by ForkliftJeff View Post
                    OK. So like we suggested so many times...(and it just happens to be your ONLY reasonable alternative)...make a new pickguard! It seems to be the only thing that can help your sore hand.

So, don't fight it...don't be lazy...just do it and stop whining.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

It would take some routing, but with a new pickguard, you could move back the VOL and TONE closer to the jack and move the switch to the lower horn of the guitar.

Last edited by Securb; 10-05-2022, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Time to get a PRS Santana.

Comment

i can see the volume knob, but the switch doesnt seem like it would be all that intrusive. anyway, i think the pic securb posted would be a good solution. cool looking guitar too!

Comment

I have to admit that I had always had a problem with the placement of the switches on Strats, especially when I first started playing them. I guess my playing style has accommodated...I don't even notice anymore.

Comment

Have you considered just putting the volume and tone on a concentric knob on the further away spot?
                              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                                Have you considered just putting the volume and tone on a concentric knob on the further away spot?
                                But the switch would still be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X