• 98 Gibson Les Paul Special Wiring

Hello all, so currently in my 98 Gibson les paul special are:

- Gibson 500k volume & tone pots

- Grover 135C tuners

- GraphTech Pre-notched saddles

-Dimarzio P-90 super distortion in the bridge

-Stock Gibson p100 in the neck

-Strung with D'addario. 010-.046 Nickel wound strings

Playing rock/classic rock/hair metal covers in a cover band tuned to standard E.

I'm not sure how the pickups are wired as the person that did the swap passed away some years ago and I haven't played the guitar as much as my other humbucker equipped guitars and was wondering once I get the funds saved up to have the wiring looked over and fixed if Series or Parallel wiring will be best and the ability to split to single coil on the Dimarzio as it's 4 conductor and if there's the ability to also split the Gibson P-100?

I was debating swapping out the GraphTech saddles for new Gibson saddles?
    Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
    Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
    2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
    1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
    Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
    Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
    Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Parallel on the DiMarzio might be interesting. Lighter, brighter but still humbucking. If the P-100 is a stack, the splitting wouldn't be as useful unless you are mating it with one of the coils of the DMZ to keep it humbucking.

Comment

The Gibson P-100 is a stacked hum bucking "P-90" style. It is not designed or intended to be chopped at all.

There have been people who have successfully clipped off the bottom stack, in an effort to make it more "P-90" ish, but I believe it is quite a complicated surgery.

I see no reason why this guitar would not work "as-is" for what you are playing. I'd say amp/fx is a more important factor.

The Gibson P100 will do just fine as a neck pickup. In fact...while I am a noted P100 hater, that is only when discussing P90's. As a neck to go with a SuperD - I say keep it.

Also - why go to Gibson saddles? Graphite is an upgrade.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Yah, IMO parallel might be a good sounign option for the P90SuperD. You don't want to bother splitting the P100.
        I also agree your Graphtec saddles are likely better than new Gibson ones. Unless you're having a problem I'd keep them.

For what you're doing I'd probably leave the guitar the way it is.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
        X