Roasted Maple neck on Squier Contemporary Jaguar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roasted Maple neck on Squier Contemporary Jaguar

I bought a Squier Contemporary Jaguar HH ST not too long ago. It’s absolutely awesome and plays great but ever since I learned about roasted maple neck being brittle, I’ve become concerned. Does this mean it will break easily? Does this mean it will get weaker in the long run. How brittle would you consider Squier Contemporary Jaguar HH ST?
    Last edited by Wayne27; 10-21-2022, 10:04 PM.

Your roasted Maple neck is actually stiffer and more torsionally stable than a regular, non-roasted Maple neck. It is not "brittle" in the way you are thinking...you do not have to worry about it "breaking" at all, even over the long-term.

References to "brittle" are generally referring to the possibility of the wood to tear out when screwing things into it (usually items that use smaller screws like string trees, tuner, etc), since the wood fibers are less flexible and contain less moisture after roasting, but it's really not an issue in regular use.

The necks on the Contemporary Squiers are wonderful in my experience! Stop worrying and go play!

Comment

Actually, a roasted maple neck is more stable than unroasted. You have nothing to worry about.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
        Your roasted Maple neck is actually stiffer and more torsionally stable than a regular, non-roasted Maple neck. It is not "brittle" in the way you are thinking...you do not have to worry about it "breaking" at all, even over the long-term.

References to "brittle" are generally referring to the possibility of the wood to tear out when screwing things into it (usually items that use smaller screws like string trees, tuner, etc), since the wood fibers are less flexible and contain less moisture after roasting, but it's really not an issue in regular use.

The necks on the Contemporary Squiers are wonderful in my experience! Stop worrying and go play!
        Thank you so much for making it clear for me to understand!

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

Another question. What about doing adjustments like adjusting the truss rod and when changing tuning? Do have to be more careful? Does the neck still have a abit of flexibility even after roasting?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne27 View Post

Another question. What about doing adjustments like adjusting the truss rod and when changing tuning? Do have to be more careful? Does the neck still have a abit of flexibility even after roasting?
            No special care needs to be taken when adjusting a "roasted" neck compared to a non-roasted neck.

If you are making your truss adjustments correctly, you shouldn't really be making huge adjustments all at once anyway.

Either way, nothing to worry about. Roasted necks are still "flexible" enough to be adjusted, if needed.

Comment

After owning a roasted maple neck for about a year, I am sold on these things. They are stable and feel great to play on. I also love the darker color.

Comment

So many threads about roasted necks lately.

They are great. Nothing at all wrong or weak about them. (As was mentioned, the brittleness is in the small fibers of the grain which can chip and split very easily). They can also look amazing.

I'm currently finishing up a claro walnut guitar with a roasted Birch neck (called "caramelized birch") and ebony fretboard. It took on a very dark and rich & warm caramel-brown color which looks absolutely amazing with the rich walnut colors. I'll post some pics one of these days. Birch is a bit softer/weaker than maple, but when it is roasted it's a bit stronger than un-roasted maple. Also stiffer & more stable.

Using roasted woods more these days gives guitar builders more options of woods to use to get great looking and functioning guitars. Not only "great", but better.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I absolutely love the look and feel of my roasted maple neck, too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	back4.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	6203973

Comment

Beautiful neck Dave. Is that body Black Limba?

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                      Beautiful neck Dave. Is that body Black Limba?
                      Thanks! Yes, it is!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Thanks! Yes, it is!
                        I thought so. It's got some very interesting grain. Black Limba is a great tone wood for guitars, I'll bet it sounds killer.

Comment

Working...
                        X