Best picks for funk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best picks for funk

I need all your opinions. I'm currently using Dunlop .60 Nylons, which are decent, but I'd like a smaller, slightly lighter pick that is maybe a bit more durable to handle all the muted strums. Ideally with Max Grip or something similar (that is, a pick with indentations, not a smooth pick). My frames of reference are Nile Rodgers/Chic, James Brown, and the Temptations as far as specific funk styles go, if that helps.

I wish that I could remember the brand name, as I have worn it off the pick. But I think that it's stainless steel, and very thin. I think that it would work great for funk.
    Artietoo, do you remember, because I think that you sent it to me along with a pickup.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
      I wish that I could remember the brand name, as I have worn it off the pick. But I think that it's stainless steel, and very thin. I think that it would work great for funk.
      Artietoo, do you remember, because I think that you sent it to me along with a pickup.

Hmm. Thanks for this, but as I think about it, I need some flex on the pick for funk playing, so perhaps I should throw out "durable" as a requirement and just buy a bunch of whatever picks I decide on.

I recently switched to carbon fiber picks for metal, and for that genre, they rock.

Comment

For single string funk lines I still use my favorite thick pick (Dunlop 207 sideways) because I think the tone is worth it but if I go to full chords with a lot of left hand muting I switch to just any light pick - I tried a few and didn’t find a real difference between them. And I’m fairly picky for the thick ones. For a while I used whatever the scratchy German one the Edge uses but then decided it wasn’t worth it.

Comment

As far as flex goes, this thing is like a very thin strip of spring steel cut and polished into the shape of a pick. It's not stiff but still quite bright. Lots of attack. And the metal on metal brings out a particular ring that doesn't come with plastics.

Comment

I am with Bille anything thin works for me playing funk. I am super picky with my thick picks for playing lead, for funk or bouncy acoustic stuff anything thin works. Usually, Dunlop Tortex .50s because they last and take a beating.

Comment

Yeah, my gut feeling has been that thin is the main criteria for a good funk rhythm pick. Will try those Tortex .50s and the pick Demanic recommends if he can remember their name!
              Last edited by weepingminotaur; 10-23-2022, 08:57 PM.

Comment

I use the same pick for everything...a 1.1 mm Jazz III made out of the Tortex material. Thinner picks sound to 'clicky' for fast funk rhythms to me.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I don't understand changing picks for different styles. Best pick for funk is what feels and sounds best to you. Lame advice but still.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                  http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                    I don't understand changing picks for different styles. Best pick for funk is what feels and sounds best to you. Lame advice but still.
                    It’s not about the style but the technique. For general picking, I use big thick picks. For strumming 16th notes in a fast tempo I appreciate the flexibility.

Comment

I like to play funky stuff with a regular red max grip Jazz III. You have to loosen up your grip on the pick a bit and control your attack. With a flexier pick it lets you bash the strings harder and not have any problems.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by weepingminotaur View Post
                        Yeah, my gut feeling has been that thin is the main criteria for a good funk rhythm pick. Will try those Tortex .50s and the pick Demanic recommends if he can remember their name!
                        I'll have to check in my archived photos to see if I took a photo of it before the label wore off.

Comment

Working...
                        X