Bass guitar suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass guitar suggestions

Alright guys, so I'll be investing in a new bass next month to replace my Epiphone Thunderbird IV and I need your help. Basically, I'm looking at getting a Fender Precision but unfortunately that may be out of my price range so I may have to look elsewhere. I'm looking for a bass which can give me a really thick bass sound with barely any click and very little treble, but doesn't sound like complete mud. I know some people will say just go to the shop and check whatever out for yourself but I just wanted to know if you guys could help me with finding a bass which can achieve what I want.

What’s your price range? What don’t you like about your old bass?

Squier CV60s P with flats.

Also: the Epi Thunderbird IV Classic Pro will also happily do what you want and has Gibson Tb Plus pickups and a throughneck.
    Last edited by formula73; 10-25-2022, 08:55 AM.

Comment

The unfortunate thing about this is that you can line up 10 P basses and they'll all sound different. In fact I just did that 2 weeks ago and the fattest sounding instruments with the best articulation were budget Jackson P basses (about $250) and an Ibanez Soundgear jazz bass clone ($450). Usually jazz basses are thinner sounding to me but this Ibanez had a massive sound. The Squier and Fender Ps in comparison were thin sounding and lifeless. It's amazing how much variation there is even in a simple model like the P bass. It's also amazing how many basses simply do not sound thick and full without a loooot of help from EQ and at the risk of getting muddy.

However the tone you describe sounds to me like pretty much any P or Jazz style bass with the tone knob turned down. You can also look at flatwound strings to help kill the high end. I like La Bella Deep Talkin flats for that kind of sound, have had the same set for about 5 years now on several different basses and it always delivers. The strings start out zingy but mellow after a month or so of regular playing, and you can accelerate this process by soaking them in hand lotion. Recently experimenting with La Bella tapewound strings, also kills the high end AND there's no *clack* when you fret a note (however they are lower tension so if you get these, get a size up from what you're used to playing. For reals). Also look into using foam or sponge at the bridge, just a thin strip so you don't alter the pitch of the strings, this can reduce the highs and bump up the articulation a bit as well.

I have had four P basses, three currently, and have gigged with all of them. NONE of them sounded alike no matter what I did with EQ, strings, pickups and other tone shaping. My Fender P bass is quite muddy sounding and has no articulation, just naturally has an excess of low mids and bass. My short scale Squier P is balanced and fat. My knockoff Dean P is punchy and zingy. All have had string changes and pickup changes... they retain their natural character regardless.

Sounds like you don't want to do this but IMO the best thing to do in your situation is take your current bass to shops and plug in, then play a bunch of basses after that so you have a true direct comparison between what you have now and what you'll have in the future. Even if you don't buy anything you'll gain knowledge that will help you make a purchasing decision.
      Last edited by alex1fly; 10-25-2022, 09:35 AM.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Also what kind of controls does your amp have. All of my basses will sound muddy unless I run them with scooped mids or use the Contour mode (which basically just scoops the mids)
        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
          If you don't play any basses you're just guessing and hoping. You can line up 10 P basses and they'll all sound different. In fact I just did that 2 weeks ago and the fattest sounding instruments with the best articulation were budget Jackson P basses (about $250) and an Ibanez Soundgear jazz bass clone ($450). Usually jazz basses are thinner sounding to me but this Ibanez had a massive sound. The Squier and Fender Ps in comparison were thin and lifeless. It's amazing how much variation there is even in a simple model like the P bass. It's also amazing how many basses simply do not sound thick and full without a loooot of help from EQ and at the risk of getting muddy. It's like looking at cars - you can see photos and get an idea, but until you drive it you don't know what it'll actually be like.

However the tone you describe sounds to me like pretty much any bass with the tone knob turned down. You can also look at flatwound strings to help kill the high end. I like La Bella Deep Talkin flats for that kind of sound, have had the same set for about 5 years now on several different basses and it always delivers. Recently experimenting with La Bella tapewound strings, also kills the high end AND there's no *clack* when you fret a note.

I have had four P basses, three currently, and have gigged with all of them. NONE of them sounded alike no matter what I did with EQ, strings, pickups and other tone shaping. My Fender P bass is quite muddy sounding, just naturally has an excess of low mids and bass. My short scale Squier P is balanced and fat. My knockoff Dean P is punchy and zingy. All have had string changes and pickup changes... they retain their natural character regardless.
          I have to disagree with a lot of this. You’re saying Ps don’t sound like Ps and Js don’t sound like Js based on exceptions. Ps have a ‘character’ and so do Js.

OP: want a P? Get a P.

Comment

I suggest looking at Ibanez. They have a lot of extremely nice basses.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

You might look at the Sterling Sting Rays, as there are some sales that really cut the price down. Great alternative to the traditional P bass sound.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

There are a lot of P-bass copies at very reasonable prices. Just upgrade the pickup and maybe the bridge.

Comment

The Harley Benton stuff is getting solid reviews just about everywhere. Haven't tried one myself, but might be worth a look! Same with the Sterling Sting Ray...seems like a great deal if you get one on a proper sale!

I have one of these, upgraded with an SD Quarter Pound pickup, and it is SICK...love it! Limited Edition Squire '70s Classic Vibe: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass...70897000001000

Before I got the Squier above, I was pretty much set on getting a Luna "Tattoo" model due to the low price, great reviews, and straightforward features/layout. Figured I'd eventually upgrade the pickup, but that's all it really needs: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass...-electric-bass

But, seriously, that Squier is awesome. Feels great, lightweight, plays great, sounds like a million bucks with the SD pickup added.

Comment

Do they still make the Squier Vintage Modified basses? Those were great.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      You might look at the Sterling Sting Rays, as there are some sales that really cut the price down. Great alternative to the traditional P bass sound.
                      I was about to say this. Whatever Sterling's cheapest bass is (Ray4? Sub4? Something like that) shows up at most guitar stores, offer tons of flexibility, and consistently have above average build quality.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                        Do they still make the Squier Vintage Modified basses? Those were great.
                        Not for years.

Side note: it’d be cool if op would show back up and interact.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0BC06E1D-F1AC-4C33-8382-B47F36DA11D7.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	6203792
                          Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                          The Harley Benton stuff is getting solid reviews just about everywhere. Haven't tried one myself, but might be worth a look! Same with the Sterling Sting Ray...seems like a great deal if you get one on a proper sale!

I have one of these, upgraded with an SD Quarter Pound pickup, and it is SICK...love it! Limited Edition Squire '70s Classic Vibe: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass...70897000001000

Before I got the Squier above, I was pretty much set on getting a Luna "Tattoo" model due to the low price, great reviews, and straightforward features/layout. Figured I'd eventually upgrade the pickup, but that's all it really needs: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass...-electric-bass

But, seriously, that Squier is awesome. Feels great, lightweight, plays great, sounds like a million bucks with the SD pickup added.
                          I also have a CV with a QP but it’s a 60s. I am VERY fond of it.

Comment

Squier Classic Vibe 60’s. Can’t go wrong. I love mine. Output jack is the weakest part on it. Easy to replace with a Switchcraft.

Sterling SUB Ray4 is a solid option. I have one of those too.

Yamaha RBX basses are nice.
                            Ibanez Soundgear basses are nice.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post

I have to disagree with a lot of this. You’re saying Ps don’t sound like Ps and Js don’t sound like Js based on exceptions. Ps have a ‘character’ and so do Js.

OP: want a P? Get a P.
                              I said that all Ps don't sound the same. The nuance from instrument to instrument makes a big difference to me, but it might not make a difference to you or OP or anybody else... hence the whole point of my post which was to encourage OP to go try some basses since he essentially said "I want a thick bass sound". Pretty broad category.

Comment

Working...
                              X