Bass guitar suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post

I said that all Ps don't sound the same. The nuance from instrument to instrument makes a big difference to me, but it might not make a difference to you or OP or anybody else... hence the whole point of my post which was to encourage OP to go try some basses since he essentially said "I want a thick bass sound". Pretty broad category.
    Fair enough but they DO have a commonality.

Comment

For a cheap P bass I would check Squier Vintage Modified.
      For a thick sound without too much highs, I would check a Yamaha TRBX-504 in passive mode.

Comment

I had an LTD 204 with some quarter pounders that sound exactly like you describe. Thick and Dark all day long.

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
          The unfortunate thing about this is that you can line up 10 P basses and they'll all sound different. In fact I just did that 2 weeks ago and the fattest sounding instruments with the best articulation were budget Jackson P basses (about $250) and an Ibanez Soundgear jazz bass clone ($450). Usually jazz basses are thinner sounding to me but this Ibanez had a massive sound. The Squier and Fender Ps in comparison were thin sounding and lifeless. It's amazing how much variation there is even in a simple model like the P bass. It's also amazing how many basses simply do not sound thick and full without a loooot of help from EQ and at the risk of getting muddy.

However the tone you describe sounds to me like pretty much any P or Jazz style bass with the tone knob turned down. You can also look at flatwound strings to help kill the high end. I like La Bella Deep Talkin flats for that kind of sound, have had the same set for about 5 years now on several different basses and it always delivers. The strings start out zingy but mellow after a month or so of regular playing, and you can accelerate this process by soaking them in hand lotion. Recently experimenting with La Bella tapewound strings, also kills the high end AND there's no *clack* when you fret a note (however they are lower tension so if you get these, get a size up from what you're used to playing. For reals). Also look into using foam or sponge at the bridge, just a thin strip so you don't alter the pitch of the strings, this can reduce the highs and bump up the articulation a bit as well.

I have had four P basses, three currently, and have gigged with all of them. NONE of them sounded alike no matter what I did with EQ, strings, pickups and other tone shaping. My Fender P bass is quite muddy sounding and has no articulation, just naturally has an excess of low mids and bass. My short scale Squier P is balanced and fat. My knockoff Dean P is punchy and zingy. All have had string changes and pickup changes... they retain their natural character regardless.

Sounds like you don't want to do this but IMO the best thing to do in your situation is take your current bass to shops and plug in, then play a bunch of basses after that so you have a true direct comparison between what you have now and what you'll have in the future. Even if you don't buy anything you'll gain knowledge that will help you make a purchasing decision.
          Excellent comments and suggestion.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I've got a couple basses and my favorite for the sound you want (and for just about ANY sound) is my Jazz bass with flatwounds. Extremely versatile bass and so comfortable to play (my hands are small and I really like the smaller neck on the Jazz). I had a Ric about 50 years ago that was the most fantastic sounding bass I've ever played, but my little hands had a hard time with it. The Jazz is my favorite alternative.

I've played quite a few P basses but never found one that didn't sound muddy to my ears.

Just my $0.02.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Hard to argue Squier/Harley B and a Duncan
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
              X