banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bigsby or Bigsby Clone us a Virbramare Adaptor on SG body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigsby or Bigsby Clone us a Virbramare Adaptor on SG body?

For my SG/V which the painting if will be finished this weekend. Gloss black.

The body came predrilled for a regular stoptail and I don't want to plug those holes or drill any new ones.

Thoughts / experience anyone? Click image for larger version

Name:	SGV1 in Paint.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	6203804 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221027_181732.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	6203805

On paper a V neck and SG body seems goofy, but that actually looks pretty slick.

Are you looking for a long or short tail Bigsby? In my experience Bigsby's have to be mounted extremely precisely or they will go out of tune, so if you're not confident in your drilling abilities (or if you're not 100% sold on Bigsby) I would get a vibramate. Couldn't tell you about brands though
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I've used Vibramates with good results. Once was on an older Epiphone SG and once on a Tele.

Neither of those were nice guitars and I wanted to be able to keep the Bigsby when I sold the guitars. No extra holes and there wasn't really any damage damage finish under the plate when I removed it.

That's a cool guitar, too! Drop in some Pearly Gates and you're in Billy Gibbons territory.

Comment

On a TOM/stoptail, if it's already drilled for it, I believe you have to use a Vibramate because some of those holes are right next to where you'd have to drill new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          On a TOM/stoptail, if it's already drilled for it, I believe you have to use a Vibramate because some of those holes are right next to where you'd have to drill new ones.
          That's the kind of experience that I come here for

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
            On paper a V neck and SG body seems goofy, but that actually looks pretty slick.
            Inspired by one I saw Billy Gibbons playing last month.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post

Inspired by one I saw Billy Gibbons playing last month.
              There is a possibility of using a B3 with an aftermarket retaining bar. The retaining bar would go into the holes for the stop tail. Not the prettiest solution, but would allow using a Bigsby properly mounted to the body.

Comment

I'm postponing any decision until after I finish the build, try it with a regular stoptail, and get back from my 10-day trip back to Englandshire for Guy Fawkes Night and my dad's 81st.

Comment

Duesenberg is completely removeable.

I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

^^ Was also going to suggest the Duesenberg, seems to get a good rap. Arm is also adjustable, unlike a Bigsby.

How it would look on an SG.
                    Originally posted by dominus
                    Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

That's very clean looking.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

TBH I prefer the look of the Bigsby.

I'm putting off a decision for a couple of weeks, at least, until I get back from Englandshire.

Maybe the wife will buy me one for Chrimbo...

Comment

Both of these have a Bigsby B5 with Vibramate Short-Tail, and the setup works pretty well on an SG, along with a roller bridge, TUSQ-XL nut, and Gotoh locking Klusons.

I tried a similar setup on my 335 minus the roller bridge, and tuning stability was good enough though I didn't care for how the Vibramate positioned the bar. I ended up replacing it with a B6 and Towner bar, and the experience was much closer to the B7/335 setup I'm used to though with smoother feel on the bar and less string tension.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

B5 with a vibramate works so well on any flat top Gibson style guitar. That's what I used on my Banshee (Firebird style) for a while

Comment

Bugsby's are the worst and a great way to ruin a good guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X