INTERESTING VINTAGE GIBSON FIND TODAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• INTERESTING VINTAGE GIBSON FIND TODAY

Once again, I came across this very interesting Vintage piece.

A 1967 Gibson SG Special...but this isn't any SG Special.....it has 3 pickups!!!

This guitar was originally Polaris White. The finish was stripped off at some point and then a clear coat was sprayed on.

This appears to be a guitar that was either a special order of maybe an employee build. Its like they took a Junior that was coming down the line and decided to add 2 more p90s. It certainly looks like all 3 routes are factory and there are remnants of the original paint in all 3 routes. Regardless, its a very unique piece!

The wiring appears to all be factory as well. All 4 pots date to 1967. The biggest mystery is, why do 2 soapbars and 1 dogear? (the JR turned into a 3 pup special theory)

When I first saw the guitar, I expected to see some sort of crack or repair in the usual places....given the way it looked, played hard, you know. I was pleasantly surprised to not find any repairs.

The frets are pretty much gone. It playable but you really have to dig in to grab a note. A re fret is inevitable. It does set up nice...but taller frets would be a plus.

The neck is a medium D. .840/.990. Beautiful Brazilian board! Narrow nut. It very lightweight and hangs nicely. It had a BADASS bridge on it when i got it, but it was in really bad shape so I decided to put on this TONEPROS bridge that I had in my parts bin...it works perfectly!!

It has that p90 growl that you would expect from a vintage SG/Les Paul special. Its a rock and blues machine!!!

IMG_5191 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5192 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5194 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5195 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5196 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5197 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5199 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5203 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5204 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5160 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5162 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5164 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5166 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5168 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5165 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5170 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5172 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5180 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5181 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5190 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr
    I'm just a few hundred lessons away from being a great guitar player.......

NEAT. I wanna hear it.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I imagine a dogear wouldn't sit low enough at the neck on a flat top like an SG. I'm inclined to believe it might be a factory order because of the wire channel - how would you rout that unless it was before the pieces were glued together? Cool find. Player grade - made for playin'. What is the switch configuration for the pickups? Typical Gibson B, B+M, N? Or something else?

Comment

Yep, that's an unusual bird all right. Neat find.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I paid $2300 for it. I felt that was a good price, considering there were no cracks or breaks. Although I will most likely put another $375 into a refret and new nut.
          I'm just a few hundred lessons away from being a great guitar player.......

Comment

A wildly bastardized Junior

I love it
            My Bands -
            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I am inclined to say the soapbars are not orginal to the guitar, because the clear bobbins started in 1969.
              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

With that body finish color, headstock shape/color/Gibson logo painted on, I think it might have started life as an SG body style MelodyMaker guitar.
                I had a 1970 model year 2 pickup MelodyMaker from 1970-72.
                The single pickup (if it was an SG) would have 2 controls in a different orientation from the 4 on yours (even before adding 2 controls).
                I would bet if you pulled the pickguard, you might see where the sliding pickup switch had been on the lower bout/horn.
                I've never seen any SG Jr from that time frame with a walnut finish/neck/headstock, that's why I think it was a MelodyMaker initially.
                The pickup selector and pickups/pickguard look to be changed/added after the fact.

I tried to add pics I found on the web of a SG style MelodyMaker from 67-70, but couldn't get them to load.

pictures of sg style melody makers - Bing images

Here's a link I was able to add.
                Last edited by 64 Tele; 11-08-2022, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 64 Tele View Post
                  With that body finish color, headstock shape/color/Gibson logo painted on, I think it might have started life as an SG body style MelodyMaker guitar.
                  I had a 1970 model year 2 pickup MelodyMaker from 1970-72.
                  The single pickup (if it was an SG) would have 2 controls in a different orientation from the 4 on yours (even before adding 2 controls).
                  I would bet if you pulled the pickguard, you might see where the sliding pickup switch had been on the lower bout/horn.
                  I've never seen any SG Jr from that time frame with a walnut finish/neck/headstock, that's why I think it was a MelodyMaker initially.
                  The pickup selector and pickups/pickguard look to be changed/added after the fact.

I tried to add pics I found on the web of a SG style MelodyMaker from 67-70, but couldn't get them to load.

pictures of sg style melody makers - Bing images

Here's a link I was able to add.
                  The body and upper horn don't show evidence of filled holes from a MM-style pickguard of the time, however. It does look like it had a short Vibrola at some point because you can see the three filled holes for that.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

The body and upper horn don't show evidence of filled holes from a MM-style pickguard of the time, however. It does look like it had a short Vibrola at some point because you can see the three filled holes for that.
                    Does it show evidence of a neck swap?
                    Cause that's the only explanation for that walnut head stock and painted Gibson logo from my experiences.

Comment

That is an awesome piece of history. Great find, count your lucky stars that you came across it at a time you could buy it. The refret will be well worth it. P-90s have such a great sound!
                      "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X