No announcement yet.

Why do open G strings sound out of tune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I clicked on the wrong open G-string link....
    https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Comment

Love the one about Neil Young!
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

After further analysis (ie fiddling around with half a dozen different guitars at the guitar store) I've found the thing I'm attempting to describe seems to be that the open G string just has a ton of overtones, which varies from guitar to guitar.

If I mute the string even slightly, the "tuning" problem goes away. All of my guitars have the overtones a few cents sharp, but a few of the ones I tried had the overtones a few cents flat. Time to figure out what that's all about...

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
            After further analysis (ie fiddling around with half a dozen different guitars at the guitar store) I've found the thing I'm attempting to describe seems to be that the open G string just has a ton of overtones, which varies from guitar to guitar.

If I mute the string even slightly, the "tuning" problem goes away. All of my guitars have the overtones a few cents sharp, but a few of the ones I tried had the overtones a few cents flat. Time to figure out what that's all about...
            Are the guitars you're trying 3+3 headstocks? The G string has the longest section above the nut that's a plain string (plain strings seem to have more overtones usually), could be contributing to what you hear.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Wow. All this talk about the need for compensated nuts and inherently bad tone for a G string. Makes me wonder how did anyone even get away with making a recording of a plain old guitar in the 70s and 80s or even before that.

I also believe in a wound G for a better fundamental and stable intonation. But I mean if you want to bend fretted notes it's a lot harder.
              Last edited by Petros; 11-03-2022, 09:35 PM.

Comment

I say compensated nut. Unless you like those wolf tones, then just a new nut with a shallower groove.

Comment

Originally posted by Petros View Post
                  Wow. All this talk about the need for compensated nuts and inherently bad tone for a G string. Makes me wonder how did anyone even get away with making a recording of a plain old guitar in the 70s and 80s or even before that.
                  This concern is why no popular guitar based music was made in the 70s and 80s. :P
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Petros View Post

I also believe in a wound G for a better fundamental and stable intonation. But I mean if you want to bend fretted notes it's a lot harder.
                    Even with an acoustic, the sympathetic vibration goes away when you plug it in. Every knows the reason cranked amps were a big thing back then was so the guitarist couldn't hear scary open G noises.

Comment

Cause it's one of the things that makes guitars sound cool

Comment

Working...
                      X