On my bench Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On my bench Sunday

1986 Fender Strat - made in Japan. This thing has been gigged to a nub, and it smells like a thousand bars. The string were black, the frets were green and there is not much left of them. The whole thing was filthy. I think the factory color was white.

Did a complete fret level, polished the whole axe, and set it up from scratch with 10's. Shimmed the blocked whammy a little tighter per clients request. Once I had the action where I liked it - with almost no rattle on the wound strings - I plugged into the Marshall. The mojo nearly knocked me down! With both single coils on the chime is bright and sparkling. The Duncan Hot Rails is 3 times as loud, and 3 times as ballsy. This beastie is incredible. You could lay down blues or rock with ease on this, it sounds and plays so good. My client will be thrilled, I'm sure. But today - it's mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_4369.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	6205236
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_4372.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	6205237 Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_4371.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	6205238
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Holy crap...that was white?!!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Look at all those layers of nicotine. Those 80's Japanese Strats are fantastic. They had to be.

Comment

Interesting how different an actually worn in guitar looks from a reliced one. I bet that's seen tons.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Holy crap...that was white?!!
          Do you see what happens?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice one. Good playing guitars are the result of good playing on the guitar. Mojo comes from playing mojo. So I guess mojo is as mojo does.

Comment

Just curious: why not refret if there wasn't much left of the wires? Client's request?

Comment

That's yeller!

I've seen a few old Ibz for sale in Japan that look like this, which were originally the Crystal Pearl colour from the mid-80s. Now they look like they've been doing 5 packs a day since!
                Originally posted by dominus
                Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                  Just curious: why not refret if there wasn't much left of the wires? Client's request?
                  Goober tends to exaggerate.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

How would you know?.

Fender was shooting for vintage specs with these - the fretwire was closer to mandolin wire. Very short and narrow. They've been leveled at least once, maybe more. Wasn't much left to crown. The frets measure .032 tall now and .080 wide. And in answer to Nexion - yes, client wanted the original frets if at all possible. This belonged to a friend of his who passed recently. It will go in the studio, no more road miles for this old Strat. Delivery this afternoon.
                    Last edited by ICTGoober; 11-07-2022, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Yikes. .032 is about as low as frets can be and still be playable.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Yikes. .032 is about as low as frets can be and still be playable.
                        I've done a couple Taylors for one very spooky client who likes them about .025 tall. As you can imagine, using masking tape (.007 thick) or a stainless fret shield (.010 thick) when crowning leaves you around .015 to put a radius on each side of the leveled fret. Takes longer to do the job, and you can't really make the top of the fret round. It's more like a school bus roof. I can bend on this, but it's not as easy as medium jumbos. The sound of this axe makes it worth it. I was floored.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

Ain't never seen that happen.. LOL Nor have I ever seen the two of yous disagree...

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

Ain't never seen that happen.. LOL Nor have I ever seen the two of yous disagree...
                            Surprisingly, we actually have agreed a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post

How would you know?.
                              Just going by what you said (and from experience from your previous posts). You said there "was not much left of them", and yet there was enough for you to do a level and crown.

Comment

Working...
                              X