Early Christmas Present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Christmas Present

I guess it's an early Christmas present as I'm pretty sure I won't buy a new guitar before the end of the year.

I wasn't even sure I was going to buy this one. At $419, even for a "cheap" guitar, it's pretty close to the most expensive electric guitar they offer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Original.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	6206043
    Luckily for me, I found this in their 'Bargain Bin' section for $293. The only catch, to a point, is the following statement from the sales page:

"The neck pickup on this model does not work and will need repairing. It does not work in either push/pull state. The bridge pickup works fine and works in single or hum-cancelling mode.
    This item is a customer return. We have checked it and think it's in average to poor condition, expect it to have scratches and general signs of wear and tear. This item doesn't include free returns unless it's significantly not as described."

Which gives me full reign to mess it up further. Plans for this guitar are as follows...

Name:	mods.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	6206044

X = Remove.
    Squiggle = Remove.
    Lines = Depending on brightness, this just indicates I may bring the finish down a notch with some VERY light sandpapering.
    Circle = Since the neck pickup will be removed, I have to either remove the switch or disable it in a way that only the bridge pickup stays on.

Unfortunately, as I look at this guitar now and the ideas I have for it, I just realised it makes my offset (also with a P90) redundant. Oh well.

I am getting visions of the Joe Perry Gold Rush model which is awesome IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

That is a crazy gold colour. Hopefully it looks more so in better light.

Comment

Dig it! What brand is that?
        My Bands -
        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
          Dig it! What brand is that?
          Local brand.

Comment

Thar she blows!

Name:	LPGT.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	6207067

That neck pickup only had one wire that had either not been soldered or just "came off", but in for a penny...

Long story short, that neck pickup will never work again.

It's okay, I have another neck P90 from another guitar that is perfectly fine should I wish to hook one up.

Two of the uncovered pots are disconnected, but the neck volume is still connected to the toggle. This might explain a not-terrible amount of extra hum, but extra hum nonetheless, which I can calm down somewhat using the push/pull on the bridge volume.

You might notice that somewhat large dot underneath the bridge pickup. That is not a speck of dust on my phone camera, that is the nasty work of an over-zealous pickguard screw that was screwed down into the paint. It sucks, for now, but maybe more will chip away the more I play it and be the beginning of a nice relicky thing.
            Last edited by Lucius Paisley; 11-20-2022, 09:38 AM. Reason: The photo disappeared?

Comment

Wow, that's a great looking guitar!

Maybe there's a model paint out there you can use to touch up the screw hole and make it less obvious?

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

There's a single pickup, Wilkinson-equipped, goldtop LP out there?!?! OMG

Honestly, the relic thing kills it for me, since the aesthetic with a single pickup and Wilky is decidedly modern, but in a fresh, bright gold top with no relic'ing, I'd be all over that!

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                  Wow, that's a great looking guitar!

Maybe there's a model paint out there you can use to touch up the screw hole and make it less obvious?
                  It looks much better than if I had done my usual thing and removed the neck pickup completely. I also solved my noise issue, it appears I was correct with my assumption of the remaining connected wiring, two snips with my beard scissors later, problem solved.

It still has a little noise, but not more or less than to be expected from a P90-style pickup.

If I bought the model paint, then I'd need a paintbrush and... it's just better off leaving the hole

However, somebody didn't like the gold it came with and did a full repaint. Not the colour I would have ever gone with, but it's nice.

Comment

Working...
                  X