Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

I disagree.
    Yes, the necks feel a bit thicker than the common slim-taper but not as thick as you make it sound.
    I've never had nor played one where the fretboard edges felt sharp. They have all felt very smooth and comfortable to me.
    They have their own feel which can feel a bit "stiff" if you're used to LPs, but very familiar if you're used to Fenders. I think it's due to the neck/body angle (or lack thereof).
    Originally posted by zionstrat View Post

I totally get this -the first time I played Rickenbacker it seemed alien. And the hardware does look really cheap - it's like somebody hand built a guitar from scratch in the '40s.

But after playing one for a couple days, all of that goes away - the neck becomes normal and you ignore the hardware realizing that all of that strange stuff adds together for the great sound.

I've never bumped into sharp fret edges however, I wonder if that was more of the very narrow neck. If you rap your thumb you do feel the frets, but it's more due to the fret type and the thin neck. Again, I got used to all of the weirdness really quickly and found it a far more versatile guitar than I expected.

Of course it's the best way to do REM and Petty stuff, but I also found it extremely good for light crunch rhythm and leads-in the heavier environments, the jingle is muted and instead it cuts through a mix better than a strat or a tele.

And how else could you play blood and roses by The smithereens? :-)
    The reason the neck edges feel 'sharp' to me is my 330/12, 450/12 and my 4001 bass all have 10" radius, which is a bit flat for me coupled with a thick neck, so the edge of the fretboard feels 'sharp' in my fingers inside the knuckles. My 320 has 7.25" radius and coupled with the short scale, I could play that all day comfortably. I do tend to 'grab' the neck when playing rock and roll, so I feel the fretboard edge if it's different from what I'm used to. Interestingly, I do have a Jackson with a much flatter neck, but it's so thin, for some reason it doesn't have that sharp edge feeling to me, and I do spend more time on my fingertips with the Jackson than muscling chords across the neck. Something about a certain thickness with a certain flatness together makes for an uncomfortable edge in my hands. But if Rick's 10" is comfortable to you, great. Horses for courses or different strokes or something like that.

Comment

Yeah that makes complete sense, I normally prefer flat wide necks- I started on classical guitar. So I was definitely biased against the Rick beforehand but learned to work with it for what it does.
      What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Working...
      X