Played a Rickenbacker 360 and fell in love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Played a Rickenbacker 360 and fell in love

I went to a Rickenbacker dealer in MA to play a Rickenbacker 620. He did not have any in stock, so I played a Rickenbacker 360. I fell in love with it. The high-output bridge had a hell of a lot more punch than expected. The neck was very clean and fun to noodle Jazz chords on. It is a beautiful guitar and played amazingly well. It was $2,300, comparing it to a new Gibson ES335 or comparable guitar it is a deal. I also think aesthetically it is a better-looking guitar than the 335.

I might go back and snag it when I finish all of these home renovations or when I close my next big sale.

Last edited by Securb; 11-22-2022, 10:03 AM.

that thing looks sweet!! a buddy of mine has a john kay ric and, man, it is a nice freakin guitar. ive played it at a bunch of gigs. the neck shape isnt what i prefer, but i played countless full sets with that thing and was very happy.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with a Rick, and almost nothing sounds like a Rick. They are essentially boutique builders now, and making some of the finest instruments ever in the history of the company.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Really unique instruments. Only they do what they do, and these days, not much music has the 'Rick Sound', which is a shame.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Really unique instruments. Only they do what they do, and these days, not much music has the 'Rick Sound', which is a shame.
          It had the "Ric" sound, but when I cranked the gain on the amp, it took on a whole different vibe and was a screamer for leads. I was seated right in front of the amp and got no feedback which surprised me, seeing it is a hollow body.

Comment

I've never been comfortable with their necks, but they look cool and certainly have a unique sound.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

It had the "Ric" sound, but when I cranked the gain on the amp, it took on a whole different vibe and was a screamer for leads. I was seated right in front of the amp and got no feedback which surprised me, seeing it is a hollow body.
              Rics have a foam/rubber insulation spacer underneath the chrome pickup rings that decouples the pickups from the top. They only feedback if you really want them too (a la Pete Townshend.)

Comment

I've got two 620's, a 12 string and a 6 string, and I love them both. They have their place, and they are fun to play, just have to be careful with the double truss rods...

Comment

Originally posted by Liam1963 View Post
                  I've got two 620's, a 12 string and a 6 string, and I love them both. They have their place, and they are fun to play, just have to be careful with the double truss rods...
                  Where did you get them? The only dealers I can find in the area are Tewksbury Music and Performance Music in Woburn. I called Performance Music, and all they have is basses, and no one has 620s.

Comment

If you like their necks -they are incredible guitars. The neck profile just isnt typical
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Where did you get them? The only dealers I can find in the area are Tewksbury Music and Performance Music in Woburn. I called Performance Music, and all they have is basses, and no one has 620s.
                      GC in Natick, I had to order both, the 620-12 I bought in 2003, and the 620-6 in 2006, no one else had them in stock, or had the pull to expedite, but GC did (at the time). I run the 620-12 into a Janglebox, then a digital reverb, then straight into my PA, the 620-6 seems to sound best thru my AC30, with a bit of compression....

Comment

Mm, a Rick does its own thing, kick arse for textures and chordal stuff; and they look cool as hell too.

I'd take a 381v69. Nicely pimped out with the big horns, chequer binding and German carve.
                        Originally posted by dominus
                        Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Liam1963 View Post

GC in Natick, I had to order both, the 620-12 I bought in 2003, and the 620-6 in 2006, no one else had them in stock, or had the pull to expedite, but GC did (at the time). I run the 620-12 into a Janglebox, then a digital reverb, then straight into my PA, the 620-6 seems to sound best thru my AC30, with a bit of compression....
                          And herein lies the problem. I went there to check out a 620, I still want to play one, but I did fall in love with the 360. Noone has the 620's in stock. Maybe I will drive down at some point and check yours out.

Comment

And herein lies the problem. I went there to check out a 620, I still want to play one, but I did fall in love with the 360. Noone has the 620's in stock. Maybe I will drive down at some point and check yours out.

Sounds like a plan!

Comment

Rethink your plan! The 620 is the far better looking guitar.
                              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Working...
                              X