HipShot troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HipShot troubles

Has anyone had any troubles with shoddy manufacturing or packaging with HipShot lately? I ordered some units for some basses headed my way, and the one to fit the Indonesian Sterling bass only had 2 holes drilled in the mounting plate instead of 4, and only 1 screw was packaged instead of 4. I am mad as hell about this. Not only is HipShot supposed to be world class, but with the Thanksgiving holiday right here my shot at getting the right one slips away. Oscar at HipShot told me they were stopping production of this model, and only had 3 left in stock. Just sent him a nasty email, which he better jump on tomorrow. If he started vacation too soon, I'm gonna flip out.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

All the HipShot hardware I have came already installed on the instruments I have, so no, I haven't had any experience with direct purchases and problems with workmanship or packaging.

Comment

I used open gear Hipshot locking tuners on my Warmoth last year, and they were fine. No idea if the formula for making them has changed.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've used several sets of Hipshot and never had any problems.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

while that sucks, my guess is that oscar isnt the one who actually threw the stuff in the box

Comment

I bought one of their drop d bass things last month and it was fine.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I got an apology this morning, and a promise to send the correct stuff out pronto. We'll see how long it take to get to Doodah.

Comment

The extra screws showed up finally, and now the D-tuner is binding and will not drop below D flat no matter where the adjustment screw is set. Frankly, it looks like part of the D-tuner assembly is bent. I can't tell if that's the trouble or not.

This really gripes me. I've been installing and using these since the 80's and never had any trouble. My client asked me to order a different unit for an Ibanez bass at the same time, and I'm wondering if it will cause me trouble. He plans on dropping it off with me when he comes to pick up the Sterling on my bench. HipShot isn't answering their phone messages quickly.

Comment

That is surprising to hear I've always gotten good stuff from Hipshot and for the prices they charge I would be upset too if I got something messed up but at least they are going to send you the right stuff. I'd just let them know about the D tuner issue and they should take care of it for you. I understand it's a clients bass which does make it frustrating. Best of luck on the bass.
                  It's funny how some stories became historic,
                  especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
                  But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post
                    I'd just let them know about the D tuner issue and they should take care of it for you.
                    +1

It's definitely worth taking a shot. A couple years ago I emailed them to ask if it was possible to fix the ancient extender key on longcat's Spector NS-4CR, and they just sent me a new one. I've bought several of their products since then and have had zero issues. Hopefully this was just bad luck and not a sign that things are changing.
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Just saw this in Talkbass, likely not related but probably good to know these are out there.

Comment

The unit in question was purchased from the Hipshot Factory Outlet on Squeebay. I ended up modifying the unit until everything fit properly with no binding. Works like a champ now, but it should have been perfect from the word go.

Comment

I wonder if they put their rejects in the Factory Outlet?
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hmmm... could be.

Comment

I’ve had no issues with them. I installed a 2 point Supertone on my Ripper last year and it ended up needing a spacer plate, which they not only sent me free of charge, but sent 2 different thicknesses.

If I’d been a loyal customer since the 80s, I surely wouldn’t send a customer service rep a ****ty email. I bet food service people LOVE you. Better check for pubes, dude.

Comment

Working...
                              X