Ten32 Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
    Not prohibitive, but I'm wondering whether bolt-on headstocks would affect sustain & liveliness the same way as bolt-on vs set neck.
    There's a slightly more lively feel to my set-neck Fenders than the regular bolt-ons, even given the stiff nature of maple Fender necks.
    Considering that the speaking length of the string doesn't cross that joint, maybe it doesn't matter?
    Take it to the limit
    Everybody to the limit
    Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Not prohibitive, but I'm wondering whether bolt-on headstocks would affect sustain & liveliness the same way as bolt-on vs set neck.
      There's a slightly more lively feel to my set-neck Fenders than the regular bolt-ons, even given the stiff nature of maple Fender necks.
      I don't know why they designed it with a headstock in the first place.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Cool!
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Weird. The most lively guitars I've played have all been bolt on.

When you're talking about sustain, how long are you holding notes and chords for? Every guitar I've ever played that was properly setup has been able to sustain single notes for more than 8 seconds . . . and I don't think I've ever had to hold a note for that long while playing a gig.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Weird. The most lively guitars I've played have all been bolt on.

When you're talking about sustain, how long are you holding notes and chords for? Every guitar I've ever played that was properly setup has been able to sustain single notes for more than 8 seconds . . . and I don't think I've ever had to hold a note for that long while playing a gig.
            I'm really talking more about the way you feel a guitar come alive in your hands when you play it.
            And the way its character changes at volume.

I see two rather different elements when evaluating sustain. There's the guitar's inherent natural sustain, when playing quietly or unamplified.
            Then there's the aspect where a guitar - especially its neck - resonates with the strings and with the ambient sound energy in a room.
            I think of this as its live sustain, since it's tied to liveliness of feel. For me that's a very important quality in a guitar.

IME mahogany necks generally have tended to come alive more easily than the more rigid maple or extra-stiff multi-piece laminated ones.
            (That doesn't mean stiff guitars won't sustain, of course, just that they normally require higher volume before you can feel them really wake up.)
            But even in hard maple, my set-neck Fenders feel more lively - and may have slightly better inherent sustain - than most of my other Fenders,

IMO though, the particular pieces of wood often can make more difference to the feel than species or construction details.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

So, it's a super-fancy kit guitar you get to build over and over again every time you want to take it somewhere? LOL!

I love the effort and apparent quality of the pieces (all praise the mighty CNC), but let's be honest...some of those body designs are pretty fugly and, like Mincer said, why keep a headstock at all if it's just another piece you have to bolt-on and a likely point of failure with continued use?

And how much do you think that thing weighs?

Comment

The thing I like the most about this is that you can choose the neck material (mesquite??? nifty) and potentially get different scale lengths to swap on. I dig a few of the other design ideas too - the removable jack assembly, the integrated tremolo stop, the tool holders. Seems like it would be easy to work on.

The removable headstock looks like it's more trouble than it's worth; I personally have no use for it and I don't know anyone who does. Great for industrial design nerds. Juice not worth the squeeze. It does seem like the guy put an awful lot of thought into the weight and durability of his fastening system. After reading through the whole website, I'm impressed overall, and I bet 20-years-ago me would have really wanted one of these... but I'd also probably put it together once and never break it down, so what's the point?

He does say he'll build a neck with a standard headstock if you want. That's cool. That's probably what I would ask for. But really I'd want to play the thing first, and for upwards of 2k I would want it to be awesome.
                Take it to the limit
                Everybody to the limit
                Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

I'm thinking the same. I would get a complete neck as well if I were to buy one. Maybe a couple of different necks, who knows.
                  I still think this design is pretty interesting.

Comment

Lots of great features packed into that little concept. I dig it.
                    https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Working...
                    X