• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the hell is Chris Stein

Playing? That's an awful lot of pots

Looks like an Airline Town & Country.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

It is a National, I thought it was an Airline at first also.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Good catch.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

What do you figure the extra pots do? I'm guessing a volume and tone for each pickup, but then that still leaves two mystery pots.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            What do you figure the extra pots do?
            When you work it out, let me know.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pots.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	6208198

Comment

What do you figure the extra pots do? I'm guessing a volume and tone for each pickup, but then that still leaves two mystery pots.
              Split, phase , mixer?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post

When you work it out, let me know.

Name:	pots.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	6208198
                Wtf is this? One pickup or two?

Comment

You are close, you just counted the pickups incorrectly. Three volumes, three tones, and a master volume. The bridge has a pickup built into it.
                  Last edited by Securb; 11-28-2022, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

Wtf is this? One pickup or two?
                    Technically, it's one...

Name:	body.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	6208223
                    Everything from the neck pickup has been removed except the stacked bobbins and spacer, which are only there to hold the cover in place.

Normally I'd have left it out completely, but it would have looked very ugly compared to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                      Except that's Frank Infante, not Chris Stein.

Last edited by beaubrummels; 11-28-2022, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Except that's Frank Infante, not Chris Stein.

Thank you, but that still doesn't tell us anything about the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

Thank you, but that still doesn't tell us anything about the guitar.
                          You asked what Chris Stein was playing, so all the answers in this thread would be the incorrect answer.

Chris Stien is playing a 1960's Hagstrom Goya Deluxe 90. There aren't many knobs on that, but you can see what most of the switches do here if you zoom in:

Last edited by beaubrummels; 11-28-2022, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Whether Valco – the company that made National guitars in the 1950s and ’60s – was actually inspired by U.S. geography when it created its legendary “map” guitars is unknown, but they may well have simply meant to be eye-catching in the dry days before the Beatles ignited the mania for electric guitars. Whatever the

Comment

Working...
                            X