Removing tarnish / corrosion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing tarnish / corrosion

I hope this is the right place to post this. I just pulled out a guitar that I hardly ever use, the thought being to clean it up and sell it. Some of the hardware has a coating of tarnish on it, the tail piece being the worst. What is the best method to clean it, without scratching it or doing more damage ? The rest of the guitar looks like new.

It depends on the bridge material. If it is simply tarnished nickel, most metal cleaners will work. If it is corrosion, it is better to love it and live with it.

What kind of bridge are we talking about? Can you post pictures of the corrosion?

Comment

I say either leave it, or try to find cheap replacement parts and make up for that investment in the sale.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I use BOSS Guitar Detailer for most cleaning. For metal - Flitz or Brasso. Remember to wipe the oil off when you're done with the Brasso.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          It depends on the bridge material. If it is simply tarnished nickel, most metal cleaners will work. If it is corrosion, it is better to love it and live with it.

What kind of bridge are we talking about? Can you post pictures of the corrosion?
          Well, I'm having issues uploading a pic from my phone. Gotta love technology. I've heard soaking the parts in a mild acid (white vinegar) will remove it. I'll let you know if it works.

Comment

Originally posted by RB522 View Post

Well, I'm having issues uploading a pic from my phone. Gotta love technology. I've heard soaking the parts in a mild acid (white vinegar) will remove it. I'll let you know if it works.
            Sometimes it helps loading pics to an image hosting site, and linking to the image there.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by RB522 View Post

If it’s saying the file is too big, email it to yourself and reduce the size from full to large or medium, then save that and upload it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Sometimes it helps loading pics to an image hosting site, and linking to the image there.
                Imgur.com will auto-resize and compress the image for web distribution.

Comment

Working...
                X