I SAVED THIS POOR PRS FROM CERTAIN DISASTER AND NEGLECT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I SAVED THIS POOR PRS FROM CERTAIN DISASTER AND NEGLECT

I was perusing the local Facebook marketplace yesterday and stumbled across this 2006. I didn’t know it was satin at the time, neither did the seller.

We met up at a McDonald’s parking lot this morning.

When I first opened the case, it was evident that it had sat in a musty basement for quite some time. The frets were green too! Thick, sticky crap all over the body. Dirt on top of dirt on top of dirt. Rode hard, put away wet. (Then there were even more surprises when I got it home and looked inside)

So we made the deal and got it home to start the disinfection process. At which time I found that 2 of the 4 pots had broken shafts. (So I ended up totally gutting all the electronics). Took steel wool to the frets and got them back to silver again. Lol. Cleaned and conditioned the fretboard. The fretboard on this guitar is stunning!! At some point I realized it had a one piece top...lol.

Then I installed 4 new pots, new capacitors and 2 1983 Shaw PAFs. Also new knobs.

Strung it up and set it up…and it was like a beam of sunlight from the guitar gods…it has a wonderfully low action and killer tone!!!

I can say I’m not a huge fan of the “satin” look. I think it detracts from beauty of the figuring in the wood, just my opinion.

This guitar displays the consistent quality that you usually find in a core USA PRS. These early singlecuts are just incredible instruments!!

IMG_5968 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5969 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5970 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5971 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5972 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5973 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5974 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5975 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5976 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5977 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5979 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_5999 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_6001 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_6002 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_6005 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_6006 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_6007 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

I'm just a few hundred lessons away from being a great guitar player.......

Very cool guitar!

But those knobs look horrible, LOL. The guitar is so awesome, it deservse some lampshade knobs, IMO.

Comment

I like it, and I don't usually like green. Also, ixnay on the steel wool. Use Scotchbrite.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I don't hate this.

Comment

What a shame that it was stuck in a basement all that time.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Can’t wait to see it for sale in 3 weeks

Comment

great color and cool guitar! but i agree, i dont care for the knobs

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
                Can’t wait to see it for sale in 3 weeks
                It probably won't take that long. This thread just needs to be bumped from the front page of the Guitar Room.

Comment

I think you're right . . . that would look a ton better if it was gloss.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                  X