THE PINNACLE OF HERITAGE HOLY GRAILS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE PINNACLE OF HERITAGE HOLY GRAILS

Before I start this story, want to thank David B. for giving me the opportunity to own this piece of Heritage Guitar history!

Yeah...that's where it started. Dave and I were chatting the other night and i jokingly said, "hey you should sell me the JP 140! ha ha ha!" He said, this is what i have into it...you can have it for that much if you want it. I quickly agreed!

This guitar came from the personal collection of the late, Mr. JP Moats. Founding member/owner of the Heritage Guitar company.

This is a 1986 Heritage H140 Custom. This 140 was specked and commissioned by Mr. Moats for his personal collection. Another cool part of this guitar is that all of the custom inlay work was done by the legendary, Ms. Maudie Moore! The late, Ms. Moore did custom inlay work for Gibson, Martin and Heritage and I'm sure for others as well! She was a legend in these parts! JP and Maudie, I was told, were quite good friends.

So, as far as the guitar...a typical H140 would have a mahogany body with a single bound curly maple cap, bound mahogany neck with a rosewood fretboard and dots. Un covered black bobbin Schaller pickups and Schaller bridge/tailpiece. Plastic pickguard and a rub-on logo.

There is nothing typical about this H140!

* AAAA quilt maple top

* Multi bound body, front and back

* Bound rosewood head veneer with custom inlays

* Bound rosewood fretboard with star inlays

* Multi bound rosewood pickguard

* Bound rosewood truss rod cover

* Star inlayed rosewood knobs (not currently on the guitar)

* Signed Heritage label (even signed by Maudie Moore)

The neck is a medium C carve, typical for Heritage neck from this era. Its only 8lbs, 2oz. I did replace a couple pieces of hardware, just because of personal preference. I swapped out the Schaller bridge and tailpiece for Nashville style. The rosewood knobs I swapped for amber tophats. There was also a rosewood toggle tip and a black poker chip that i swapped out. The pickups, which I'm sure are not original, are currently Gibson 57 classics.

It sets up really good. I wish the frets were a little taller. It plays and sounds great though. I plan on playing this one out...looks like somebody already did, by the looks of the back.

I just love the fact that I have all the history of Heritage and Gibson, right in my back yard. Guitars like this are a reminder of the legacy that lives on at 225 Parsons Street, downtown Kalamazoo, Michigan!

IMG_6050 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_6051 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_6049 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_6052 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_6053 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_6054 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_6055 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_6057 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_6058 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_6059 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_6061 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_6063 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_6064 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_6065 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_6047 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

I'm just a few hundred lessons away from being a great guitar player.......

Wow, that’s it! Just… WOW.

Comment

One of the most disjointed looking guitars from them I've seen. The headstock, fretboard and pickguard all being different woods/colors, the top looks like a Norlin clownburst on a figured top. To me, a case where rarity doesn't make it any better.

Comment

Working...
      X