MY 3 PICK UP TELE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY 3 PICK UP TELE

Wanted to share details of my cheaply acquired but very playable 3 pup Telecaster style guitar The tones are great. It is always nice to pick up a bargain guitar that you get to love. Some might also be interested in how I have wired it.

I bought the guitar, lightly used, in 2017 while I was on vacation in the US for $195 from the friend of a distant relative. Since the guitar was a Chinese import SX from Rondo, this was more than the actual guitar had cost new but the guy had spent a lot on upgrades .Mainly 3 new pick ups hand wound by Ken Rose ; Sadly Rose pick ups is now no longer in business. Plus you will note that he had routed the guitar and modified the pick guard to take a P90 in the neck. There was also an upgraded 5 way and jack plug plus a 250k fender “no load on 10” tone pot. As he also threw in a nice padded gig bag I thought I did pretty well.

Unfortunately the guitar did not play that well and did not meet his expectations but after I had managed to get it back to the UK ( as hand luggage) I did a few more mods and then handed it over to my excellent local Luthier who I know very well. For not a great deal of money he completely transformed this guitar. This involved a superb fret job, a new nut ,new strings and a set up. He himself remarked how well the guitar now played and what a nice Rosewood fret board it had..These are pretty rare these days on lower end guitars.

My “few more mods” were a set of stainless steel saddles, a DPDT mini on-on -on switch fitted between the pots and a push pull volume pot. And of course a re wire. I also shielded the guitar with copper tape.

The wiring is a little complex and probably would not suit people who like to keep it simple. The push pull Vol pot puts the bridge pup OOP ,the 3 way mini is wired to give the options , neck pup permanently on, while 5 way works as normal , stock 5 way and bridge in series with either the middle or neck.. This is a wiring I worked out many many years ago for my Strat. I posted a thread on it way back This arrangement gives a range of additional pick up configurations all very usable . I have found OOP in series is a particularly interesting sound

The P90 in the neck works well. Thought I might have to upgrade the tuners but I am surprised how stable the tuning is with the stock ones which seem fairly robust.

Hope this has not been too boring

Let me take this opportunity to wish everybody a very Merry Christmas and a Happy new year.

Am attaching some pics. The neck is C shape with a 12in radius. Fret board Not everybody's cup of tea but I find it very playable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5545.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	6210677

Name:	IMG_5558.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	6210675 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5550.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	6210676

Name:	IMG_1585.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	6210678

Interesting.
    I like the wiring options. With the P-90 constant on, you can have all three pickups on. Conceivably with bridge OOP.
    And the one with the bridge in series with either of the other pickups, that should thicken things up. Unless you use the phase option.
    I hope you post a few sound clips.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for your response Demanic. Can't promise anything re sound clips. My previous attempts at making vids and sound recording have been pretty grim.

Obviously the quality of the pick ups which probably cost more than the guitar are a major contributing factor to the basic sound. By coincidence the pick ups in my MIM strat are Rose as well : Mariposas which I bought in a Sale on Rose many tears ago for $65 shipped. Great pups .A real bargain

Comment

Very nice, well done. I did a thread here about a Nashville with a P90 neck pickup as well now it has a Strat one but P90 is a great tone. I went with a 4way wiring the middle in series with bridge in the 4th position and a mini switch for adding the middle in parallel. I like your wiring too, creative.

Comment

I had a tricked out Tele/Strat/HB Telecaster with funky switching. It didn't work for me...But glad you dig it!
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Gstring View Post
            Wanted to share details of my cheaply acquired but very playable 3 pup Telecaster style guitar The tones are great. It is always nice to pick up a bargain guitar that you get to love. Some might also be interested in how I have wired it.

I bought the guitar, lightly used, in 2017 while I was on vacation in the US for $195 from the friend of a distant relative. Since the guitar was a Chinese import SX from Rondo, this was more than the actual guitar had cost new but the guy had spent a lot on upgrades .Mainly 3 new pick ups hand wound by Ken Rose ; Sadly Rose pick ups is now no longer in business. Plus you will note that he had routed the guitar and modified the pick guard to take a P90 in the neck. There was also an upgraded 5 way and jack plug plus a 250k fender “no load on 10” tone pot. As he also threw in a nice padded gig bag I thought I did pretty well.

Unfortunately the guitar did not play that well and did not meet his expectations but after I had managed to get it back to the UK ( as hand luggage) I did a few more mods and then handed it over to my excellent local Luthier who I know very well. For not a great deal of money he completely transformed this guitar. This involved a superb fret job, a new nut ,new strings and a set up. He himself remarked how well the guitar now played and what a nice Rosewood fret board it had..These are pretty rare these days on lower end guitars.

My “few more mods” were a set of stainless steel saddles, a DPDT mini on-on -on switch fitted between the pots and a push pull volume pot. And of course a re wire. I also shielded the guitar with copper tape.

The wiring is a little complex and probably would not suit people who like to keep it simple. The push pull Vol pot puts the bridge pup OOP ,the 3 way mini is wired to give the options , neck pup permanently on, while 5 way works as normal , stock 5 way and bridge in series with either the middle or neck.. This is a wiring I worked out many many years ago for my Strat. I posted a thread on it way back This arrangement gives a range of additional pick up configurations all very usable . I have found OOP in series is a particularly interesting sound

The P90 in the neck works well. Thought I might have to upgrade the tuners but I am surprised how stable the tuning is with the stock ones which seem fairly robust.

Hope this has not been too boring

Let me take this opportunity to wish everybody a very Merry Christmas and a Happy new year.

Am attaching some pics. The neck is C shape with a 12in radius. Fret board Not everybody's cup of tea but I find it very playable.

Name:	IMG_5545.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	6210677

Name:	IMG_5558.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	6210675 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5550.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	6210676

Name:	IMG_1585.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	6210678
            I love this wiring, but as you noted most people want something easier :-) thanks for posting!
            What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

The mini switch is actually not that difficult to get used to. E.g when paying jazzy stuff on the neck P90 with the tone and vol rolled off a touch a flick of the mini back gives you neck and bridge in series which is also an excellent sound for jazz. Also when playing typical Tele style on the bridge a flick of the mini forward adds in the neck.,obviously in parallel. I did not mention earlier that the pups are wired so the bridge is hum cancelling with the middle and the neck. Middle and neck sound s OK with a nice touch of quack.

Comment

Originally posted by Gstring View Post
                The mini switch is actually not that difficult to get used to. E.g when paying jazzy stuff on the neck P90 with the tone and vol rolled off a touch a flick of the mini back gives you neck and bridge in series which is also an excellent sound for jazz. Also when playing typical Tele style on the bridge a flick of the mini forward adds in the neck.,obviously in parallel. I did not mention earlier that the pups are wired so the bridge is hum cancelling with the middle and the neck. Middle and neck sound s OK with a nice touch of quack.
                The wiring you used reminds me of the "Ultra Strat mod" wiring I used on my first electric, a Squier Strat my friend Geoff still has. I can't find the diagram but it had 5 mini switches in place of the 5 way switch. 3 were on/off for each pickup, 1 was series/parallel with 2+ pickup and 1 put the bridge pickup Out of phase. It made for a very versatile guitar.
                "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

A very unique guitar...and I love the color!
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Me too. I actually toyed with the idea of a blue.black paisley Pick guard for a while but settled for the simplicity of the stock one in black...Makes the pups blend in well.

Comment

Working...
                    X