Wilkinson VS100 Bridge (Too High?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilkinson VS100 Bridge (Too High?)

Hi Everyone. I just got my axe back from a setup (GREAT shop; I love their work) and it seems like the bridge is too high. This is on a Classic 50s body with a Fender MX "modern" neck that is currently for sale on Fender.com. The action is incredible, but it seems like the neck may be too high in the pocket, and the tech compensated at the bridge. A. Does this look "off" to you? B. Is the potential solution to shave the neck pocket down, so the neck fits a little deeper in the pocket?

Thoughts?

Edit: there's about 8/64ths space between the body and bottom of the bridge plate.
    Last edited by Voodoogumbo; 01-29-2023, 06:40 PM.

Looks like you might want to try putting a shim under the neck to see if you can get it at a better angle this allowing you to lower the bridge some.
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

The tech should have set the base of the Wilkinson level, and then used the adjustable saddles to get the arch correct. He misunderstands setting up vibrato systems.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Seems like he only worked on the bridge when he needed to work on the guitar.

Comment

Yes, the bridge should be level with the top. I wouldn't mess with the neck angle until the bridge is at the right angle , even and parallel with the top of the body.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah - at a glance, I'm not thinking these guys "do great work"

That said - got the action fine. I would ask - does it work for you? I see no pull on the treble, but yes on the bass.

I mean - there is no "height" setting for a trem. Just where it needs to be. If the action is good, the pickups good and it moves like you want it is fine.

I don't think that's fine.
            Last edited by Aceman; 01-30-2023, 06:40 AM.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Well, the posts on either side of the trem are the height adjustments. This is a good overall manual for the trem system.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That looks wrong. The height of the bridge doesn't really matter, it can go up and down based on where the neck and action need it to be . . . but the fact that the bass side is so much higher than the treble side is bizarre. It should be parallel with the guitar body.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Saddles are specifically made to be height adjustable to compensate for small amounts of neck angles. I don't think it looks bad enough to put a shim under the neck yet...it may be necessary, but see if it works for you the way it is...you say that the action is incredible, right. Depending on how you like your bridge action (full floating, amount of downward and upward action), you may want to adjust its angle and the heights of the saddles.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

It looks like the tech mounted the bridge that way because the neck may not be seating in the pocket so that the fretboard is parallel to the face of the guitar. If this is in fact the case, it may be prudent to check the neck pocket and/or the heal of the neck.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Thanks everyone for providing direction and next steps. I'll give the shop a call today to discuss.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post
                        Looks like you might want to try putting a shim under the neck to see if you can get it at a better angle this allowing you to lower the bridge some.
                        How is that going to lower the bridge? You're raising the neck up closer to the strings. Meaning the strings now need to go up as well. So, the bridge would go higher. Not lower?
                        JC
                        -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
                        -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
                        -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
                        -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
                        -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
                        -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          Yes, the bridge should be level with the top. I wouldn't mess with the neck angle until the bridge is at the right angle , even and parallel with the top of the body.

It looks level with the top to me? What, isn't level is the saddles. Thr bridge plate itself is parallel to the body. It's clear as day in the pic?
                          Attached Files
                          JC
                          -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
                          -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
                          -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
                          -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
                          -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
                          -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

Originally posted by Wound_Up View Post

It looks level with the top to me? What, isn't level is the saddles. Thr bridge plate itself is parallel to the body. It's clear as day in the pic?
                            It's not level this way:

Comment

Yeah - neck shim on the treble side would be one answer, then the tech would raise the treble side of the bridge to parallel, the action stays fine and everyone is happy.

More extreme answers are sanding the neck or the pocket...

But as mentioned, if this works for you, and you are not a big trem user. Playon...
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X