Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite string brand?

Mine is either Ernie Ball or D'Addario.

I like the fact that D'Addario has a lot more variety in their string gauges. And their string sets seem a bit more thought through as far as gauges and tension goes. With some brands, you get like a ridiculously heavy fifth and fourth string and a comparatively light sixth string, especially on the heavier gauges. D'Addario is usually balanced in that department.

However, I like the tone and feel or Ernie Ball better. Downside is their Not Even Slinky and Beefy Slinky sets have unusably fat plain 3rds that sound and feel horrible. Luckily, they fix that with the Magnum Slinky set that I use.

Honestly, I'm not as picky as string brands about I am about string gauges, but like I said, not many brands have heavy gauge sets that actually make sense, IMO.

I do stay away from Dean Markley, TBH, because I used to break those like they were made of spaghetti.

So how about you?

For electric like boomers. I will get Ermie Ball or D'Addario if they are on sale. On my acoustic, it is Martin. I recently got Ernie Ball Earthwood strings. They were so bright I was ready to pull them off the guitar. When I played it at practice, I was able to dial out the harshness. But even then, I broke a wound G, I rarely break stings, especially on my acoustics. I just ordered more Martians, I will not stray from them again for my acoustic.

Comment

D'addario's 9-42 for almost all my my guitars, 10-46 for my one or two short scale guitars. Ernie Ball for my 7 string 'cause they sounded better for that than D'addario's imo.
      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

D'Addarios 9-42 on most electrics. I don't bother with coated strings...the plain ones will do just fine.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have been using Fender pure nickels for close to twenty years. When they were available I used the .009-.040 set; these days I use the closest equivalent, .009-.042. The strings feel less balanced, but I guess it is close enough.

Comment

For my electric’s I use Curt Mangan’s. 9’s and 10’s.
            I use D’Addario’s round wounds for my Jazz bass.
            On my Taylor acoustic I really like D’Addario’s.

Comment

D'Addario 9-46 for F-scales, I have Elixir 10-46 on my G-scale ATM, and have Elixirs on my steel string acoustic.

Comment

dr pure blues 11-50 on electrics, but ill use d'addario 11-49 or power slinkys if thats all i can get in a pinch. used to love snake oil strings vintage sets but theyve been gone for years.
                elixer nanoweb 12-54 on my acoustics since i barely ever play em and dont want to change strings every time i pick it up.

Comment

Dunlop 10-52, or Dunlop Wilde 10-46 (I think these are now called "Heavy Core"), and I just started trying EB Slinky Cobalt 10-46.

I've never had a problem with the Dunlops after using 20-30 sets in the past 10-15 years and they sound great. I've only been using the Cobalts for a few weeks but they sound and function good so far. I used to use EB Slinkys all the time up until about 15 years ago and they were good, better than most.

The worst strings I've ever used were the GHS Boomers...I've never broken so many strings in my life!! With just about every set at least one string would break. It was ridiculous!
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I use either Elixir 11-48s or 10-52s in standard tuning. They sound good to me, are comfortable to play, and last forever.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I wish the old Michael Amott Rotosound set was still available. Those were perfect for Drop C. I know he used them for C standard, but they worked really well in Drop C for me.

And lucky you guys who use 9's, 10's, or even 11's. You got a good variety to choose from different brands.

Comment

I use Diaddario close to exclusively now, but was EB in the 90s -my only issue with EB is a break their strings way more often -I dont know why.

One word of caution on hand wound string brands like DR -I find the variation in tone is greater from pack to pack -I found it annoying.
                        Last edited by NegativeEase; 03-16-2023, 10:15 PM.
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

ive noticed some variation too over the years, but it seems more consistent over the past few years. i also buy a box at a time, not sure if that makes much difference though. i want a round core, pure nickle string and dr tends to be the easier to find regularly

Comment

Right now, Dunlop Heavy Core's. 10-48. The core wires in the wrapped strings are thicker than average. The .48 would be the equivalent of .54 in most other brands.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

ive often wondered what the core vs wrap of different brands are. like how similar is the ernie ball slinky 48 vs d'addario 48 vs dr tite fit 48 vs ghs boomer 48

i know some, like the heavy core say the core is thicker, and pyramid max performance are supposed to have a thinner core, but compared to what? i assume dunlop is comparing to their other strings, and pyramid to their other strings, but that doesnt mean **** to me

Comment

Working...
                              X