How can people spend so much time chasing EVH tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can people spend so much time chasing EVH tone

I trip over it at least once a month on the most random gear.

Like today I got it with a BB2/BB3 combo Les Paul through a Boss DN-2 into a cheapo Crate MX10.

Eh, maybe it's more my playing and less the gear.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

That makes sense, because Eddie played a DN-2 into an MX10 on the first album.

Seriously, though, a huge part of that sound is in the technique, as you've discovered.

Comment

He came out in a time where there was very little information available about guitar techniques and tone. And he had a giant impact on guitar players at a time they needed a real hero. Those ripples are still there today.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The tone is in the overalls and wrestling shoes
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post

Eh, maybe it's more my playing and less the gear.
          If you really, Really, REALLY want the details of the tone of any artist it is quite a chase. I am ok with the bare bones version that others are not happy enough with. Mr, Gilmour is my first inspiration to play guitar all those years ago and I’m fine with just a fuzz, Univibe/phase 90 and delay. Some go really down the hole, but for me close enough is close enough.

I am 100% in the “tone is in the hands” camp. And before people show up with straw man arguments of “how do you get fuzz out of a clean amp”, my perspective is to get close with the gear and then practice, practice, practice. On the album I recorded with my band/friends 20 some years ago, I played a few of the rhythm parts with the literal same setup as the guitarists. They sounded night and day different just with our right hand techniques. When I was interested in the Hendrix/SRV chord melody style a few years ago, the same clean Fender with a light boost sounded a million times closer when I actually learned how to play the licks right.

Now for those hell bent on recreating tones exactly, who can play the licks perfectly and are seeking that last 1%… the chase is long and tough. I appreciate the work, but man is that a labor of love.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I think a lot of it is self-validation. Most agree EVH is a phenomenal guitarist; therefore, if I can sound like EVH, I must also be an outstanding guitarist. However, that is very shortsighted. I can copy DaVinci's Mona Lisa, but that does not make me one of the great masters. Just as writing down an Emily Dickinson poem doesn't makes me a great poet.

Comment

It's always easier (though usually less effective) to try throwing money at getting tone than practicing. Easier trumps better for most people.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                Mr, Gilmour is my first inspiration to play guitar all those years ago and I’m fine with just a fuzz, Univibe/phase 90 and delay. Some go really down the hole, but for me close enough is close enough.
                Same here - I'd put together a version of his black Strat (circa 1974, with the rosewood fingerboard) before he brought it out of retirement for Live 8 and made a signature replica. Mine evolved from there as I also came to understand that the tone is "in the fingers" - and the closest I came to his Strat's sound is when mine had Antiquity I Jazzmasters. All these years later, we find out that he used his P90 Goldtop and a '62 Jaguar on quite a lot of tracks.

Comment

I'm not even into classic rock or whatever, but if there is a tone in guitar history obsessing over, it's his.

Just imagine it's 1978 and you hear this tone!

JMO.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                    It's always easier (though usually less effective) to try throwing money at getting tone than practicing. Easier trumps better for most people.
                    It's more rewarding however to take a step back from all your fancy schmancy equipment and realize you're making it sound good and not the other way around.

Finding an enjoyable sound out of a $30 solid state amp and an early attempt at a digital distortion pedal to me is loads more fun than getting a better sound out of gear that costs 20 times as much
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post

It's more rewarding however to take a step back from all your fancy schmancy equipment and realize you're making it sound good and not the other way around.

Finding an enjoyable sound out of a $30 solid state amp and an early attempt at a digital distortion pedal to me is loads more fun than getting a better sound out of gear that costs 20 times as much
                      Yeah, but many people don't understand the tradeoff between easier and more ultimately rewarding. If they did we wouldn't have most:
                      - addiction problems
                      - obesity problems
                      - personal finance problems
                      etc. . .

:P
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

There's a difference between achieving his tone and getting his exact gear. I think the most obsession I see is with figuring out his exact gear, which is more elusive.

Comment

My EVH inspiration is just that he would pretty much do whatever to get the sound out of his head. If it didn't exist, he would make it, or at least not care if he cobbled something together to make it work. In this world of 'just buy it, I have the money', it is still a refreshing approach.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                            Just imagine it's 1978 and you hear this tone!
                            If I were 10 at the time, I'd be 55!

As it turned out, I was 10 in 1993, and as impressionable as I was, I was still much more impressed with the guitarists that came before him.

If it makes everyone feel better, I thought Nirvana sucked, too!

Comment

I've heard 500 people do dead on EVH tones with all kinds of gear.... it's just not as elusive as everyone wants to make it.

I think it's the history, the myths, the stories that make it something more (and fun to be ridiculous about)
                              Last edited by NegativeEase; 05-25-2023, 11:47 AM.
                              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                              X