How can people spend so much time chasing EVH tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZiggyZipgun View Post
    I was still much more impressed with the guitarists that came before him.
    I wasn't, personally. But I'm not really into older music.

I'd much rather chase EVH's tone than Hendrix's, but that's just me.

And I'm not even into shred.

I wasn't born in 1978, TBH. But to this day, I see EVH's influence much more directly in the style of tone that I like. At least when it comes to historic "Guitar God" kinda people.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 05-25-2023, 10:00 PM.

Comment

What strap did EVH use?

Comment

I am inspired by his changing search for his tone. It changed a lot, because each album was one home base on the path to wherever he was going. I dig players that evolve like that. But instead of copying their path, it made it ok to search for my own- and have that evolve over time.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post

I'm not calling you a liar, but I doubt it sounded like him with that setup.
          No ones going to mistake it for the record, but my point was the age old "tone is in the fingers" idea.

If I were to hire someone for the sole purpose of sounding like another guitar player, say sound like BB King, I would prefer the one that has an understanding of his picking dynamics and technique rather than one who has a 1:1 replica of Lucille.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Honestly, the only thing that bothers me about it is that there were so many cool guitarists from that era, and people that are so zoomed in on Eddie aren't even scraping the surface. And that bothers me a lot. Eddie may have been first, but 45 years down the line that ought to be of historical interest only. There was so much incredible rock guitar playing from that era, from the intricate guitar arrangements on the Vandenberg records to George Lynch's modal interchanges to Reb Beach's pop-Holdsworthian approach to tapping, and it is being shoved under the carpet because eDdIe CaMe FiRsT.

A side effect of this is that we are now seeing a fair bit of retouching, where Eddie is given credit for innovations that he may have been an early adaptor of, but had little to no impact on the development of, the latest being the SDE-3000EVH, where the promotional material goes so far as to suggest that Eddie created the w/d/w rig (if anybody can show me a credible source that proves that Eddie actually did invent fine tuners or the W/D/W rig I'll retract this).

So yes,I like Eddie's playing and know a fair bit of his material intimately, but all the talk of "King Eddie" makes me want to vomit.

Comment

I never got into it, but that's probably because he put his efforts into some of the worst songs I've ever heard. That style hasn't aged well and neither has most of Gen X. Elvis gives me hope, because we're pretty close to outliving the last of his fans. There will come a time when no one gives a ****, and I might be around to see it.

Comment

I never got into it, but that's probably because he put his efforts into some of the worst songs I've ever heard. That style hasn't aged well and neither has most of Gen X. Elvis gives me hope, because we're pretty close to outliving the last of his fans. There will come a time when no one gives a ****, and I might be around to see it.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	thisisbait.png
Views:	100
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	6234630
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I have always been more impressed with Eddies overall musician ship in particular his rhythm playing and mastery of dynamics than just his lead playing. Not that his ability to solo wasn't impressive it was but to me it was the entire package he brought as a player not just one aspect. I played in a few power trios with stand up singers and what he did as a player in that setting is what has always impressed me more than anything. Example is here with Seventh Seal live. Listen to the dynamics and colors he brings to this song overall. To me it's mind blowing!

Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

Agreed.
                    I think the EVH is more of a Van Hagar era tone as opposed to the Plexi tones. But yeah, when I think of Eddie’s tone I’m hearing that Plexi.
                    I think it's pretty cool he kept things fluid as time went on from his tone to his guitar choice. Some of the tones on ADKOT are pretty dang heavy.

Comment

Edward Van Halen is my favorite guitar player of all time. Van Halen is my favorite band of all time. I personally think that Edward Van Halen is the greatest rock guitar player of all time. I've never tried to chase his tone or sound/play like him.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                        Edward Van Halen is my favorite guitar player of all time. Van Halen is my favorite band of all time. I personally think that Edward Van Halen is the greatest rock guitar player of all time. I've never tried to chase his tone or sound/play like him.
                        my wife recently asked me who the greatest rock guitarist was of all time. my response was "before or after Eddie Van Halen"?

Comment

EVH to me is the greatest guitarist of all time. Period.

I don't chase his tone, but I think people who do have all the justification to do it. It's FANTASTIC. In all its iterations. Arguably, the most memorable and influential tone of all time. At least when it comes to rock music.

Comment

I'll say this much: any Frankenstrat will look out of place anywhere except your bedroom.

Comment

I'll say this much: any Frankenstrat will look out of place anywhere except your bedroom.
                              Lynch Tigers, on the other hand, go with everything!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X